Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me? I want to customize the color and graphiques of my hoyt riser, but I don't know how or where I can do this. Is there anyone who
can help me with that?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hammie1981 said:
Can someone help me? I want to customize the color and graphiques of my hoyt riser, but I don't know how or where I can do this. Is there anyone who
can help me with that?
You should be more specific with which Hoyt you have. The gold medalist is much easier to paint than the anodized aluminum, but can be customized.

For the GM, or any cast magnesium painted bow, you can bring it to an autobody detailing shop, and have it painted with normal car paint (dont goto maaco and expect them to know what they are doing). Most shops that do airbrushing and body customizations will be able to do it. Simply tell them to use a low temperature bake. (I think this is around 120 degrees F. When I had my bow painted, I called S&J Enterprises, the USA Yamaha dealer at the time, and they said the temperature that low would not harm the bow)

I had my Yamahas custom painted about 10 years ago. The painter used Jaguar car paint, Pearl and Gold. In addition, he added 3-4 layers of clear coat after. After 10 years they look almost brand new, with only a few minor chips from dropping the riser. The painter did a super fine sanding prior to painting to ensure the paint stuck to the riser. I had my carbon stabilizers painted at the same time. My ACE carbon have not chipped, my Shibuya central has, since it seems to be softer carbon.

It wasn't cheap to get done, it ended up being a few hundred $ for the paint and labor. (Jaguar paint isnt cheap, but I have never seen a Jag with a chip or faded, so I figured it must be good.)

As far as machined Aluminum, I know people who had their bows Powder coated by a company that powder coats auto parts like engine pipes and rims. This is when the metal is blasted with almond powder or glass beads to clean it, and then hit with colored plastic which bonds to the metal as the color.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts