Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE***** I mainly hunt low deer density high elevation mountains. All public. Central PA

This is a long rant about why I built this devise but remember the term BULK and that everything has a positive and negative functionality.

Mobile hunting was a necessity before it was a passion of mine. To this day it is an asset. Scouting is definitely the best method to becoming a better hunter regardless of your hunting strategy. *** I thought scouting would lead to obtaining "spots". But spots go cold and one day of scouting doesn't give an accurate depiction of deer movement. Also until you hunt a spot many times you will not understand the wind and or thermals. For that reason, I did not hang as many stands as I thought I would after 3 years of scouting. Being mobile is important.

I have owned basically everything for being mobile. Old steel climbers, lonewolf assault hand climber(worked well), lone wolf sticks (and customized LW sticks), saddle hunting platforms, and so on for combinations of sticks, hang-ons, and saddle hunting platforms.

MOST IMPORTANTLY. EVERY METHOD HAS A DOWN SIDE!!!!!!!
From my experience I believe it comes down to physical ability and versatility. I will come back to this but "bulk" is the most important thing to me. Considerations: overall weight, tree you can climb(Limbs and trunk size), bulk, speed, noise, sent, userablity.

CLIMBERS are easy to earn and generally do not take much practice or athleticism. But you are limited to straight small to medium trees with no limbs. They are also very bulky. Takes a ton of space on your person. Which makes them loud to move through the woods. but i would say they are quite to get up the tree which is a benefit.

STICKS. Sticks are awesome! Higher end brands are light weight BUT all are bulky. They also take more athleticism. Yes you can climb any tree, go around limbs, and you can hunt with a buddy to film or whatever. The fact that they are left on the tree for a second person is huge and that why most filmers will use sticks for many years. But all the movement makes noise and leaves scent(If you work up a sweat and get flustered). AND THEN you have to hang a stand or platform. Definitely the most moving parts. In most cases the versatility aspects of sticks and hanging far out weighs a climber. But depending if you are using a stand vs a saddle hunting platform it could be the same amount of bulk as a climber.

SADDLE HUNTING. One of the lightest and most versatile methods is saddle hunting. most commonly done with sticks and a hang on platform. They are not comfortable for sitting dark to dark multiple day in a row!!! It takes physical ability to become comfortable sitting in one AND shooting out of one. Also when you get antsy in a saddle you move around alot and make more noise than a stand. This is the nature on the beast if hanging from a rope...

THE ONE STICK METHED. Absolutely takes the most athleticism. Without practice, it certainly is the loudest way to get up a tree. If flustered, leaves the most sent. 100% takes the most practice. And there is very little mainstream use of this method. BUT IT IS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF BULK. I chose this method due to size of "gear". Yes it is light but volume on my pack is way more important to me than weight. How can you move quietly though the woods with a folding chair on you back? If you are going to hike 1-4 miles center of gravity on your pack is important as well. If you want to run and gun though thick habitat, less bulk lets you keep moving quietly without getting snagged up. If you want to hunt dark to dark in 20 degree or less weather you need a large volume of clothing. Bulk on the pack or in the hand is everything to me. There a few things I would change about this prototype but all in all I really liked using this devise. Filled my 2020 PA and Ohio tag on public land using this.

The stick consists of a Harken cam cleat, lonewolf tree bracket, 1" square tube aluminum 1/8", 1/8" am-steel rope and a custom aider. All welding of bottom step and platform attachment are 1/8". The aider steps are 16" gapped sewed on an old singer treadle.

Attachments

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
* The platform attachment stays on my tethered saddle while climbing using a small piece of para cord. When I reach hunting height I slide the platform over the top of the stick. The cam cleat on an all day hunt will loosen. For that reason I put a cam buckle strap on the shoulder bolt right under the platform for extra tension to the tree. On a short hunt the extra strap is not needed. I'm not sure if this can be seem in the images. The socket cap screw in the picture towards the top near the LoneWolf bracket has been replaced with a tall shoulder bolt for the loops on the cam buckle strap can be used.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rappel using the Mad-rock safe guard. Reverse one sticking down is difficult but I have done it before. With more practice I may leave the 40' rope and belay device at home in the future to save more weight and space. This season I used it to get down on every hunt. I sewed reflective fabric on the bottom aider step which does help quite a bit in the dark.

· Registered
5,499 Posts
Great write up. My opinion differs a little on some things, but I’ve yet to try one sticking method. I’ve been in the process this season of making my set lighter and lighter. I’m in the process of adding my platform to my 3rd stick. I can say I don’t need all the clothes like Northern states do because in Alabama temps usually average mid 30s during hunting season, so a 3 stick method with an attached platform will weigh right at 8lbs, packed below my Badlands lumbar pack, and get me 15ft plus.

I may fool around with one sticking this spring/summer.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you have a good plan. In the mountains I hunt I like to be minimum of 20ft high so 4 sticks became quite the burden. Less on the pack regardless of climbing difficulty has become most important for my situations due to difficulty of accessing the places I like to hunt. If access was easier I probably would have continued using sticks. That being said, now that I'm proficient with the one stick method I will use it no matter what. Its a hard sell to people bc its so awkward the first time you try it. But with practice it becomes second nature.

· Registered
5,499 Posts
Forgive me, but how the heck do you get it up the tree so you can then climb it?
Climb, safety off and dangle from the saddle with knees against tree, reach below you and uncam your stick, take the stick while pushing off with your feet and put it under your tether, let your weight back down and your tether can hold the stick in place while you recam the stick around the tree. Climb up and repeat until your desired height.

· Registered
Hoyt Hyper Force Hoyt CRX 32. Trophy ridge Easton FMJs
1,400 Posts
Wow I learn something new every day wish we had of thought about this 60 years ago we were setting on wood or steel for a seat before cushions were invented
Then I invented the first cushion for climbing stands before amacker or API it was called the Tree Hugger soon after all the big companies came out with there own version of a cushion for there stands and put me out of business the the rest is History
Can’t fight the big corporations
You might want to get a patten on your design
Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.