Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cut on contact zips through deer and is probably better for border line kinetic energy set ups. The trophy tip blows through bone and won't curl in if you hit something solid square. I shoot 65lb at 28.5" and shoot the trophy tips. Blow right though deer huge entry ad exits. Only non pass through blew through the shoulder blade and lodged in the offside leg incapacitating it.

·
Registered
20,644 Posts
Supposedly the Trophy Tips and others of that style will give you larger entrance holes than the COC tips. The theory is that just before the Trophy Tip penetrates the hide, it pulls it together or makes a "dent" in the hide. That gathers a little more hide so that when the cutting blades get there, they cut wider than they would if there was not gathering of the hide from the "dent" made by the trophy tip.

I've used 3 different NAP heads with the Trophy Tip and am an absolute believer. I don't really know about the "gathering of hide" because I never measured my holes to find out. All I know is that there was almost always 2 holes in the deer and it was dead with a lot of blood everywhere.

A COC head in theory will give you more penetration if you happen to miss some of the harder tissue like bone because it slices right through rather than gathering the hide. However, if you hit something hard enough and it bends over the COC blade, it can actually create more drag and less penetration from the bent over blade no longer cutting as it goes through. I haven't seen a NAP head do that but I've seen a buddies Rage do that. He still got his deer but he wasn't too happy about that bent blade.

Here's the entrance wound that my Trophy Tip Killzone made on my buck this year. He didn't go 50 yards and the head is in perfect shape after I dug it out of the ground. Blades touched up and it's good to go again.
Perry buck 018 (1024x576).jpg

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
A cut on contact BH has a point the starts the cut as soon as it hits flesh. It will always be a fixed head BH. A trophy tip is what a lot of BH that incorporate replaceable blades like the Muzzy. The only gimic's I se in a BH are mechanical.

Two of the best COC BH's out there are VPA and Snuffers. COC can also be a two blade.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts