Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only broadhead I've ever used is the Muzzy 3-blade 100gr. I've had no problems and I love them, but would like to try a good cut on contact such as the steelforce I read about in another thread. My question is how well do they penetrate if you hit a little forward into the shoulder bone? And are they pretty much shot after that if you do? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I think some might curl on the tips a little depending on the angle of the shot.

As far as penetration a 2-blade cut on contact will probably fair as well if not better than a 3-blade chisel type. If it is a 4-blade cut on contact the bleeders may hinder penetration in dense bone..

Steelforce, Magnus, Phantom are all pretty good heads from what everyone says...Magnus has the edge a little over Phantoms maybe because of lifetime warranty. I think anyone of these broadheads would be an excellent choice.

I have been practicing with Phantoms all this year and they are very durable and fly nice.

I think the Magnus Stingers did the best out of the 3 in 5shot's testing and it is hard to beat the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Good cut on contact heads will hold up very well. The more blades you have the less penetration you will get from a given setup and head. The size of the blades also has much to do with penetration. For deer size animals the differnce is not worth considering, for really big game it may be, but I am not sold on the idea that a cut on contact penetrates better in and of it's self. I think it that most tend to get through aniamal better not becuase they "cut on contact" but becuase they generaly have two blades. I am going to do some testing to prove this out soon. Hopefully I can get it done and out soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts