Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I am new to hunting or even shooting a bow and i have to admit I am adicted already. I have been looking online at some really great looking arrows people customize. I am now trying to find out how I can learn to do this? I dont know where to by feathers, Blank arrow shafts or anything. I mean I know I can buy shafts from ICS and beman etc but how do I get shafts that have nothing painted on them at all? What do the weights mean? There is so much for me to learn but I don't even know how to get started. Can any of you help me?

Thanks

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Well that is an easy problem to solve....and building your own arrows isn't hard at all. You can get everything you need from just about any archery shop. But I get 95% of my stuff from Lancaster Archery in PA. As long as it is in stock and you order before 1-2:00 it will usually be at your house the next day. You can order just the shafts and if you don't want to buy an arrow saw they will cut them to the length you want before they send them to you (this will usually add a day to your shipping time though). After you have your shafts all you will need is some vanes or feathers, which ever you choose, wraps if you want them, nocks, glue, and a fletching jig. They also have a book that will teach you how to build them.

Here is a link to their site but they are also an AT sponsor.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/index.php

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Welcome to the addiction called archery. I kicked the addiction for more than 20 years and took one shot about 4 years ago and got addicted all over again. I don't shoot 3D or compete on any level, but I do bow hunt and enjoy shooting my bow alone or with friends about 3 or more times a week. I build my own arrows and get most of my materials from a local archery shop. I build my arrows for practical purposes. I don't customize my arrows or need a "pretty" arrow to kill a deer or shoot a target, but that's just me. Customizing only adds cost to an already expensive hobby.
Since you are new to archery, take it slow. Concentrate on developing your shooting skills and build from there. Archery can be just as frustrating as it can be enjoyable. I am a firm believer in the the fact that archery is a disclipine that takes time to develop.
Good luck and welcome to the world of archery.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Archery

Actually,

I am very good at shooting (so I am told by the guys at the range) At 25 yards I am in the black almost everytime and at 40 I am in the black 1 in 4 times, so I think the shooting part will come with more time. Arrows (already fletched and inserted and such) are very expensive and they kind of look plain, I saw some arrows that somebody made and he said they only cost like 4 a piece to make as oppsoed to like 6 or 7 so i thought it would be fun and cheaper to make them myself. thans fr the replies and keep them coming

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
The good thing about making your own is....yes it is cheaper. But you can make them any way you want and with the parts you want. You can also fix them when you need to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts