Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram on how a deer should be cut up? Aside from the standard quartering and muscle separation stuff. Where's the best for cutting out a roast piece of meat and the like.

I typically cut it all into small steaks and use a lot for chili meat. But this year I'd like to get a little more selection from my harvest.

Know what I mean?

Greg

·
Registered
396 Posts
ashx2 said:
Does anyone have a diagram on how a deer should be cut up? Aside from the standard quartering and muscle separation stuff. Where's the best for cutting out a roast piece of meat and the like.

I typically cut it all into small steaks and use a lot for chili meat. But this year I'd like to get a little more selection from my harvest.

Know what I mean?

Greg
if you want a roast just quarter the hams and youll have 4 roast.not really sure what your asking.

maxx

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for a drawn out diagram of the cut lines. Like you would find on one of the old butcher walls. The outline of the animal w/all the little dashed lines showing all the different types of cuts.

·
Bowhunter
5,202 Posts
Quality of picture not the best, but...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
2nd the kentucky dnr video link.

click on field dressing/butchering section.

it absolutely has everything you need for the basics.....................

butchered my own for the first time last year................wont do it any other way now.

what i found was........................

i can strip down a deer pretty quickly. it took me more time to cut things the way i wanted it (i.e. buterfly, stew meat, etc.) and package it. if you dont own a grinder already you should be looking at one right now.

good luck.

camoham

·
Straight Shooter
5,653 Posts
DENALI said:
This i think is better for learning what and where to make your cuts. Its an awesome video extremely simple disection into your basic cuts. Hope this helps. Thanks

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/video/deerfield.wmv
DENALI,

Great video you found there.:thumbs_up

I've butchered all of my own deer since I've been hunting (in the neighborhood of 50 now) along with many others for friends and family. It's always been a simple process for me, but this video looks like it makes it even more simple.

I have always quartered my deer in the past, and then boned them out....after watching this video, I'm going to try boning them out while they're hanging this year. That should leave a lot of waste in the garage, and not in the kitchen.:wink:

Once again, this video outlines things very, very well.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MidlifeC....that's more of what I was looking for....thank you very much!

Denali.......that's a great video link......thank you as well! Hopefully this thread and the pics/video link will help others too......even though that have processed their own deer, such as myself.

Bettering yourself and re-assessing your skills as not only a hunter, but as a self-processor can only be viewed as a good thing.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed in one way or another! :)

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts