Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
I use a dremel and it works great. You just need to square them up on a ASD.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
They'll splinter. I made an arrow saw using a Dremel for the motor and use small cutoff wheels. I revv 'er up to about 12-15000rpm and it cuts through like nothing.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Using a tube cutter on carbon will not work. It doesn't cut the carbon fibers cleanly. You will have a lot of crack and splintered tips if you shoot those. I supposed if you really want to use a tube type cutter Glue in the inserts with a slow cure epoxy. Be sure to smear the epoxy around the tip. But I do not recommend it. Just a tip of you shall choose that way. The best way to cut carbon shafts is to use a high speed abrasive wheel and rotate the shaft in the same direction as the abrasive wheel.

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
No, a pipe cutter will not work on carbon arrows. Go to your shop if needed and pay the couple bucks they will charge to cut them correctly.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
They'll splinter. I made an arrow saw using a Dremel for the motor and use small cutoff wheels. I revv 'er up to about 12-15000rpm and it cuts through like nothing.
I used it at high speed on my TR Crush shafts and it cut through like butter and left a very clean cut. Just touched them up on ASD and they are great.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
If you are determined not to use a high speed cut off wheel, get the finest hack saw blade that you can find and very carefully work your way around the shaft like a beaver trying to chew down a tree except make sure that you stay on a straight line. Use very gentle strokes with just the bare blade and your hand. Do not put the blade in the blade holder because you will use too much pressure and splinter the arrow.

Once you get the arrow cut inspect it to see if it splintered. If it did throw it away. If it looks good you can take some 200 grit sandpaper and a flat surface to help square up the end.

Unless this is an emergency, you would be way ahead of the game to go and get a dremel with a cut off wheel and then build a jig so that you can cut your arrows. The dremel will be a good investment if you plan on cutting your own arrows in the future and you can use it for many other things as well.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Heck, I bought an offbrand Dremel with tons of accessories (including at least 50 cutoff wheels) for a whopping $20. :mg: The scrap wood that I made the saw/jig from was just that.....free scrap.

Save yourself the money you'd waste ruining arrows (they aren't cheap) and build something that will work for years. I could probably send you a pic if you need it for a plan.

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
Harbor Freight has a benchtop cutoff saw, item#42307, on sale for $25.99-2" [email protected] rpm. I'm going to try one.
Had one and hated it. It would leave a little carbon skin around the edge and sometimes cause a very small splinter. I bought a $85 8000 rpm Weston saw from Bowhunters Super Store that works like the shop saws. I highly recommend skipping that HF junk.

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
Yeah, as others stated, not a good idea. The carbon has to be cut cleanly, and it should be done with a high speed saw of some sort

·
Registered
51,500 Posts
Sure it will if you don't care about your arrows!!!!!!!!!! I would never use anything but the proper cut of saw.:D

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Just do what was suggested, use an offbrand Dremel and build your own arrow saw.
Here's a pic of mine.

That's pretty slick. I like it. :thumbs_up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts