Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a text from my wife just now...they are finally cutting the 100 acres of corn that surrounds my house and property. FINALLY! I have approx. 25 acres of woods that is virtually surrounded by standing corn. Deer sighting #s have been down, and I find plenty of tracks to/from the standing corn.

So, with 2 days left in the late bow season here in Michigan, and temps ranging from 0-15 for the next 72 hours, I might have a shot at late season success... Now, if I can manage to ID a buck that has shed from a big doe I will be all set! Good thing I'm cold blooded.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
That sounds exciting. Good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should make for a good season next year.
I am hoping it helped draw a few "outsiders" in from neighboring areas, but who knows. It was nice with this very cold December that there was plenty of food for the deer to eat. Hopefully it will mean higher numbers next year. With the above average corn harvest in the US this year I am expecting soy beans next summer on our property. Should be some fat and happy critters come October 1, 2014.

·
Registered
26,088 Posts
I live 25-30 miles north of you and the corn field behind my house is still standing. It used to be a horse pasture, but the neighbors sold their horses and someone planted corn the past two years. I can hunt out back, but there was significant gun season pressure and minimal tracks around the perimeter of the standing corn. The primary spot I hunt about 20 miles north of me was also in corn this year and the farmer was out picking it the afternoon prior to general firearms opener.........November 14. Seems as though corn was either harvested very early for silage or very late due to moisture content. I am wondering if they are even going to harvest the corn by my house or leave it standing all winter.

Best of luck these last few days. I hunted pretty hard the early season, but the busy nature of the holiday season and the lack of sign in my hunting spots left me only marginally motivated to brave the snow and cold this December. I am still shooting regularly (this afternoon in fact), but sitting in the cold has been a mental hurdle with 3 in the freezer already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.