Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 months of taking lessons, I finally got my own (recurve) bow!

With it comes a hard take-down case with a foam insert. I have been told that you are supposed to cut the foam to fit your bow parts like a stencil, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Also, should I be removing entire pieces of the foam or just making incisions (so that there is still some "padding" on the bottom?)

Thanks if anyone could help :eek:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Doing it in multiple layers can give you the padding desired on the bottom and form fitting around the item. I've done this on a number of items like shotgun cases. Use a very sharp Exacto knife or electric carving knife for best results when cutting foam. Lay everything out how you want it then trace around the item with a chalk or silver pencil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agreed that the layered approach is best so that you have foam under your items. For my shotgun case, I first traced my shotgun with a marker. For best cutting results, I used the long utility knife blade that was longer than the thickness of my foam. that way i could cut the foam with a sawing motion without having to compress the foam at all. I found that this gives very clean, accurate lines. I don't remember if i used the long, "snap off" kind of blades or if i found a different type of long disposable blade.
Hope this helps...
Z.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you guys say layers, do you mean first literally slicing the foam into multiple layers and then cutting out the desired shape? Or are you cutting one big block of foam, but not cutting all the way through?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
At work we cut foam for instrament boxes with a band saw. Works well.

Layers : put a 1" foam layer down, then cut apiece as thick as the part that is going in the box with a cut out for the part, then another layer to fill the box.

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,480 Posts
assuming the lid is padded or foam inlaid, I prefer to start with a piece as thick as the item to be padded, then select a base layer that will fill the box to the top. this does away with a loose layer of foam that needs to be dealt with while the lid is open - especially as Murphy generally decrees that it be blowing a gale or raining at these times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my pelican case at cabelas and it came with two pieces of closed cell foam (one in the bottom and one in the lid) these two pieces completely filled the case. I have not done anything to the piece that came in the lid. What i did to get the 'layers' that we are referring to was use the long bladed razer (see my previous post) to slice the thickness of the bottom piece of foam in half. This allowed me to keep a solid piece of foam for the very bottom.I then traced my pattern onto the top half of that piece of foam. the foam fits quite snug so i dont have any trouble with high winds or Murphy in general. Since then i have come across several other pieces of foam here and there... I have used the same tecnique to cut out multiple other 'top layers' that fit my AR and mags, and some of my pistols, and other misc gear/items. The case is great for airplane travel so whatever i need to transport has it's own custom fitted case configuration.
Z.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts