Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I just had to talk about this with someone so here it goes. Over the past ten years I've watched some of the most beautiful woodlots hundreds of acres being clear cut and turned into subdivisions for some reason this bothers me. I've always wanted land of my own and just couldn't see myself doing this to my own woods I guess what im getting at is people are more worried about money then conservation . If we keep going at the rate we are now its going to cause problems for our children and there children sorry this is kinda random but i just wanted to discuss it what's your guys thoughts or ideas please share.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Money trumps all for a lot of people. I wonder how much of it happens when the kids inherit the land, but no longer live in the area. The most reasonable solution that a lot of them see is selling and splitting the money. As for the people buying the new houses, they seem to want to have a place in the country, then they end up surrounded by everybody just like themselves. What I really get a kick out of is the names they put on the subdivisions (Oak Hill, Pine Ridge Estates, or whatever), by the time it's all built there isn't a tree left standing from what there used to be, just a bunch of saplings stuck in the ground by the landscape company.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah exactly when my grandfather died my mom inherited some of his land which he purchased in the fifties it will one day be mine and I could never imagine selling it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What does that have to do with cutting timber?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I am with you. When our family farm, or part of it, falls into my hands, I will be the 5th generation of our family to own it. We have select harvested timber off of it in the past, which is not a bad thing at all. I am definately with you in that I could never sell it.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Yeh I don't know either. If somebody wants to make a subdivision and sell lots at 30k/acre, they probably will.

Now clear-cutting timber is easily debatable. You make more money select cutting logs and letting it keep growing, and steadier income. Good hunting with the undergrowth it creates. Down south now they've clearcut about everything and replanted it all in pines. Still plenty of deer but those beautiful woods are sure gone and it's hard/different to bowhunt. In Missouri they don't do the pines much, but do clear-cut pretty often, the bigger companies that soley bought it for money. Just takes too much of their time to do it right. It's always sad to see a block you're intimate with be mowed down. I've never been sad to see a pine thicket clear-cut. Clear cuts are great though in moderation for hunting.

It's all renewable, but yeh those hardwoods aren't going to be back in your lifetime.

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
Its called urban sprawl,...and dont forget about eminent domain,..government siezure at its finest. the us population is growing and people gotta live somewhere. South of me the rural houses are going up in pastures, lots of them,..but there is work and jobs in that direction,..north and west of me, people are leaving, nothing to do but farm and those that do keep getting bigger. it used to be a scenic drive from lawrence to overland park ks,...like you were in the country,...now it is nearly all houses,...about 30 miles worth,...little 1a schools are now 5a,...i hope it stays south of me,..or i may have to move,...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
They just ERASED a beautiful woodlot in my neighborhood in about three days, probably 80-100 acres. Its amazing what those machines can do. I dont understand why they cant leave a single mature tree when they put a subdivision in?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its not clear cutting and replanting that bothers me its clearcutting and building houses or businesses that gets to me

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I know what you are saying. On a somewhat related topic, with my current job, I have to do quite a bit of logging. Every time I cut down a nice oak tree I feel bad. We have cleared some nice timber in the last year and it is a shame. If there were more (and better) jobs out there I would find one where I do not have to take down these big oaks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts