Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
I cut mine to allow for 1/32" to 1/16" overlap and that is all. It is easy to do, and works well.

field14

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I made the mistake of not paying attention to where the overlap is, and fletched 2 arrows right on the edge. The wrap started peeling up a bit. A little glue saved the arrows and they fly good enough for practicing. Overlap is ok, just avoid fletching on the edge.

·
Registered
310 Posts
the blazer wraps are much shorter than standard wraps, since the fletchings are 2"

I actually used to fletch directly on the seam to ensure it didn't unroll, worked great for me, but that is personal opinion

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
benny_b01 said:
Has anyone ever heard of people cutting wraps in half so that they are only 4 inches long instead of 8.
Yep, thats what I do. No need for a 7" wrap with Blazers. As to the original question, a little overlap in the wrap is just fine, just make sure it winds up between fletchings. For most carbon arrows, you shouldn't have to trim anything - just buy the 1" wraps and you are good to go.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,368 Posts
benny_b01 said:
Has anyone ever heard of people cutting wraps in half so that they are only 4 inches long instead of 8.
Yup. Do it all the time.

I usually fletch my target arrows with the VaneTec mini-FITA vanes
and they are just under 2-inches long, so I cut the arrow wraps in half.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Just used wraps for the first time. I made sure not to fletch on the seam.
I am using blazers and while the long wrap is alot I like it for finding my arrows in the off chance that I miss...:wink:

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I've gotten a fair amount of vinyl tape from local sign shops. It comes in various wideths, down to 14". The reason most wraps are 7" is that they cut the roll of tape in half. If you can get the end of a roll from a sign shop, you can cut it any way you want. I like 8" wraps for 5" fletched hunting arrows and cut it shorter for target sized fletching. I tried cutting the tape to the exact measurement of the shaft but if you're off a little you get a thin exposed line of shafting so now I use some overlap. I've gotten several end rolls for free as they're too small to make signs with but there's lots for arrow wraps.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
benny_b01 said:

I do it for all my wraps. I use blazers so I didn't need all of that extra wrap for the vanes to adhere to. Plus I look to save money anyway I can.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Straight Edge?

What does everyone use to cut wraps with in order to make sure the overlap edge is straight and what is the width for a .285 diameter shaft?

I bought wraps many moons ago when I was still shooting aluminum and never used them so I'd like to cut these down to use on my GT 500 spine arrows.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
arrowwrapsunlim said:
Wraps should overlap about 1/16-1/8" that is perfect. If a wrap doesnt overlap it will shrink and cause a gap where the seam was.
Yep! Overlap'em:)

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Measure the diameter of the shaft by using a set of calipers, then

Take the diameter times Pi (3.14159) then multiply that times 32 and round up to the next 32 to get the cut width in 32nds of an inch.

3.14159 X .285 = 0.89535 X 32 = 28.65 32nds or 29/32".

OR....Take the diameter (.285) times Pi (3.14159), then that times 16 and round up to the next 16th.
0.285 X 3.14159 = 0.89535 X 16 = 14.3257/16 or 15/16"

ALWAYS cut one wrap to this calculated width and check fit it to the shaft to check it out. THEN, if you have the overlap, you can cut the rest of them to this width and go for it.

I don't like more than 1/16" overlap, however.

A trick to removing the wraps for re-fletching is to use the medium setting on a hair dryer (NEVER the HOTTEST SETTING!) to get the wrap warmed up, and then it will peel off much easier. Start at the overlapped seam for best results of peeling the wraps and vanes off. Clean up the shaft with MEK or alcohol to remove what residue there is from the glue and you're good to wrap again. The vanes will come off with the wrap.

I have made a spreadsheet in the same workbook, but a separate tab on what I use for most all of my working records for bow setups and measurements, site mark cross checks and "Placard" prinouts. That way, I have it already pre-calculated for the widths of wraps for every shaft size that I'm currently using. Open the file and I've already got it pre-calculated.

BE SURE THAT YOUR EXACTO KNIFE IS SHARP and that you use a solid straight-edge for cutting.

Hope this helps,

field14:slice: :slice:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The easiest way to get the size needed is to take a piece of tape wrap it around the shaft make a mark where it overlaps and measure the width of the edge to the mark you made. No math needed. Real easy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts