Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say you find out that a deer you shot has CWD.
Deer appeared to be perfectly healthy but test comes back positive.

There is no proof that eating the meat of a CWD deer is harmful.
But what would you do?
Eat it or not?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I eat it. It cannot be contracted to humans through consuming the flesh. End of story.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Lets say you find out that a deer you shot has CWD.
Deer appeared to be perfectly healthy but test comes back positive.

There is no proof that eating the meat of a CWD deer is harmful.
But what would you do?
Eat it or not?
Toss it. Whitetail doesn't taste good enough to risk eating the meat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
. I wouldn't sweat it. only a fraction of a percent of deer are tested for it in the wild, CWD positive deer have been consumed unknowingly by many hunters throughout history I am sure. Last I heard it never made a person get sick and "waste" away. That's just me.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad part is I didnt even think to write on the bags which deer it was.
So now I have the meat in ziplocs in the freezer with the other 2 deer that found there way in the freezer this year.

But as someone said Im sure quite a few deer that had CWD have been chowed down through the years.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I eat it. It cannot be contracted to humans through consuming the flesh. End of story.
That would be WRONG! anything in contact of brain, spinal tissue or fluids can be contagious and COOKING does not kill it either. So if you are positive that no meat has come in contact your good!

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be WRONG! anything in contact of brain, spinal tissue or fluids can be contagious and COOKING does not kill it either. So if you are positive that no meat has come in contact your good!
We cut up our own deer and the spine, brain/head, wasnt disturbed.
Nor would I say any fluids other than blood of course.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"There have been several cases reported in which human venison eaters have contracted Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), which, like chronic wasting disease, is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), but one that occurs naturally in humans.

Gambetti said that these cases seem to fit into known subtypes of CJD, but he added that the assumption that human cases from deer or elk would look different upon microscopic examination than ordinary CJD is just that - an assumption.

Most scientists believe all TSEs - CWD, CJD and mad cow disease in cattle - are all caused by a mutant protein called a prion.

Most scientists believe there is a strong barrier preventing prions from one species from infecting another. But 131 European beef eaters have contracted a variant of CJD caused by eating cattle suffering from mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)."

That has sparked concern that other spongiform encephalopathies, including CWD, could jump to humans or livestock.
This is an article by Lou Kilzer

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
"There have been several cases reported in which human venison eaters have contracted Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), which, like chronic wasting disease, is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), but one that occurs naturally in humans.

Gambetti said that these cases seem to fit into known subtypes of CJD, but he added that the assumption that human cases from deer or elk would look different upon microscopic examination than ordinary CJD is just that - an assumption.

Most scientists believe all TSEs - CWD, CJD and mad cow disease in cattle - are all caused by a mutant protein called a prion.

Most scientists believe there is a strong barrier preventing prions from one species from infecting another. But 131 European beef eaters have contracted a variant of CJD caused by eating cattle suffering from mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE)."

That has sparked concern that other spongiform encephalopathies, including CWD, could jump to humans or livestock.
This is an article by Lou Kilzer
Exactly. It's just to risky. AIDS came from a blood to blood contact with a chimpanzee. The virus was the right mutation in the right host at the right time. Apparently science has illustrated that we humans are attacked thousands of times a year by mutated viruses seeing if they'll "take" in us. Does bird flu ring a bell? How about the viruses from swine? One little mutation and one sloppy, careless, or accident prone hunter could allow a mutated CWD prion to make the leap.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't know why anybody would risk their life over this! Is the risk likely remote? Sure, but at least with Russian roulette you know the instant the trigger is pulled. With CWD it could take months or years to surface in some manner.

Early this year a friend from my church started to have some strange balance disorders that had his doctors scratching their heads. By August he had died miserably of CJD. Is there a connection with the Wisconsin CWD epidemic? That is unproven, but I'm not ready to bet my life (and certainly not my family's life) on a CWD positive deer.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I was able to figure out which bags had the "bad" deer in them.
And as painful as it was they are in the garbage can.
But bad thing is the other two deer that are in the freezer came from the same property but were not tested.
So who knows? Could also have been positive for all I know!?
And countless other deer from previous years from same property that have been eaten or still in the freezer in form of backstraps, sausage, brats, burger, sticks, hotdogs etc.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I read a more recent report that says it's detectable in saliva and blood also. I am not a gambling man. A lot of people I know are not having theirs tested, because you don't here about it any more.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,507 Posts
I wouldn't eat anything that i had any doubts about...If in doubt throw it out...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I'm not Hannibal Lector, I don't eat those parts of deer and I've butchered enough deer to know not too fuss with the brain or spinal column. It would be a lot of extra work to somehow get the meat contact with with the brain or spinal fluid. All I use is a fillet knife, not a sawzall.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not Hannibal Lector, I don't eat those parts of deer and I've butchered enough deer to know not too fuss with the brain or spinal column. It would be a lot of extra work to somehow get the meat contact with with the brain or spinal fluid. All I use is a fillet knife, not a sawzall.
Thats all we use as well when cutting up deer is filet knifes.
We dont even quarter them up.
We lay them on their side and peel back the hide to get at the meat and once done flip them over and do the same on the other side.
So deer isnt even dismembered.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts