Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a Z7 at 50# and 26". I am using Max 150's at 26 7/8" (end of nock to end of tip) with 100 gr tips incl BH's. They fly ok but this bow/arrow combination seems to somewhat sensitive. I am wondering if going to a stiffer arrow would offer more forgiveness and consistency especially with BH's?

I tried a Max Hunter 250 at 27 1/4" but it was dipped with Blazers & collar. This gave me an FOC of 9.6 which I would like to be higher. I just feel that this arrow is over kill (stiffness & total weight) for my setup.

I think a CX 200 would be a good fit but they are no longer made. I don't know if I could find some somewhere and, if I could, if it would be a wise move with future replacement probably nonexistent.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Lowered expectations
15,563 Posts
You can probably find some Carbon Maxx 2000 shafts at Bass Pro - same arrow as the CX200. Might even be on clearance, so stock up :)

Unfortunately, as far as I know, no manufacturer currently makes a .450 spine area "standard" all-carbon hunting arrow.

You could simply shorten up your Maxima 150s.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't feel comfortable shortening my Max 150's with BH's.

Any other help out there?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Look at the Easton Redline, it's available in a .460 spine. It's not marketed as a hunting shaft but neither is the LightSpeed and folks hunt with those.

·
Lowered expectations
15,563 Posts
Unfortunately the Redline is discontinued as well, and he's going to have trouble finding replacements down the road with these as well. But you're right, the 460 Redline would be a great choice as well.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Try a heavier point in the 250s to see if that softens them up enough. There are some cx200s out there yet; I just got 2dz more from the classifieds, but that will dry up soon. If you lose the bulldog collars and the wraps you'll help your foc also on the 250s as well.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
CX 200 arrows are hard to find..i bought 5 dozen years ago so i am good for a few more years...i would try a 125gr feild point and see if that gives you a better group..i assume you have paper tuned first to see if you have good flight...i would think with your shorter arrows you should be good to go..JMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts