Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I don't post very often but I need some help here that I have not been able to clear up my self searching. So here it goes.

First my bow and specs...2003 Mathews SQ2 70lb, 26"dl, 8 1/2" brace, 70% let off, 305 IBO, 240 AMO, 2 string leaches and a string loop on the string. Nothing else on the string. String is stock Zebra string. Will be replaced with vapor trail string/cable after hunting season. Arrow could be as short as 25" to as long as 26 1/2". BTW I am strictly a bow hunter no 3d or target.

Ok, now to the question. What Carbon Express shaft spine should I use? All the calculators seem to say a 250 spine for the maxima series and 4560 for the terminator series. Sounds fine except folks around here always recomend the spine to be on the stiffer side to be safe. So with that being said would the 350 spine for the CX maxima hunter or 6075 spine for the terminator series be overkill for my setup and short arrows?

Anybody want to take a shot and recomend what Carbon Express arrow and spine/length I should use along with tip weight for a good hunting setup with good FOC. Whew that is all the info I can think of...Any help?

·
Registered
384 Posts
250 Or 350

by the arrow chart i have for carbon express you should use the 250 by your arrow length and poundage. shoot on !

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't get any responce so I went ahead and downloaded OnTarget2 and came up with the same suggestion. 26" Carbon Express maxima hunter250's with a 125 grain head is the ticket. Thanks for helping though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
CLS said:
Ok guys I don't post very often but I need some help here that I have not been able to clear up my self searching. So here it goes.

First my bow and specs...2003 Mathews SQ2 70lb, 26"dl, 8 1/2" brace, 70% let off, 305 IBO, 240 AMO, 2 string leaches and a string loop on the string. Nothing else on the string. String is stock Zebra string. Will be replaced with vapor trail string/cable after hunting season. Arrow could be as short as 25" to as long as 26 1/2". BTW I am strictly a bow hunter no 3d or target.

Ok, now to the question. What Carbon Express shaft spine should I use? All the calculators seem to say a 250 spine for the maxima series and 4560 for the terminator series. Sounds fine except folks around here always recomend the spine to be on the stiffer side to be safe. So with that being said would the 350 spine for the CX maxima hunter or 6075 spine for the terminator series be overkill for my setup and short arrows?

Anybody want to take a shot and recomend what Carbon Express arrow and spine/length I should use along with tip weight for a good hunting setup with good FOC. Whew that is all the info I can think of...Any help?
From your shop that you go to see if you can buy the arrows in lots of 3. Then find which one shoots best. Below is a pic of a cx 100 on a spine tester. I think this will work best for you.JMO

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm an IDIOT

Ya know I have been playing with ontarget2 and I thought I had everything dialed in. Then I realized that I typed in the wrong information for the sims string leeches. When I looked up the weight of them on sims website I saw 1.9 each. I assumed that this was in GRAINS. Not the case. They weight them in GRAMS. So 1.9 x 2 =3.8 total grams. 3.8 grams = 58 grains:eek:

That makes quite a differance according to ontarget2. Enough to put me in the overspined catagory. Of coarse I realized this little snafu AFTER ordering a dozen CX Maxima hunter 250's cut to 26" with 125 grain tips.:embara:

It seams changing to a better string will help. This won't be done till after hunting season though. I was planning on getting an sts after season as well but I am thinking about getting one now and ditching the string leeches till next year when I get a better string. Ditching the leeches would seem to solve my overspine situation but obviously make the rig louder.

Anybody think being a little overspined (occording to ontarget2) won't cause much of a problem out to 35 yards. Should I stick with the leeches and be overspined or ditch them and fall in the ideal range for spine and have a louder bow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts