Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have never had this much trouble tuning a bow.

Its a 2003 Cybertec Cam 1/2 RH 28" 70 Pound

Arrows ACC 3-60 100gr points.

I was shooting great groups with field points.

This week I am trying Muzzy 100 three blade( They spin true)

My field points hit center and my Muzzy hit just to the left.

On the easton chart I need to move the rest in. Tried this no luck!

I just cannot get the two arrow to hit the same spot.

I have also tried other heads and the arrow still hit to the left.

help

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Try cranking your draw weight up or down a couple pounds to see if this makes a difference. I hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
All the info out there on broadheads hitting in the same spot as field points can lead a person in the wrong direction. I have been field testing broadheads on bows for years.
If you have good form, and your field point groups are acceptable, you do not have a problem. Broadheads are generally suppose to hit in a different spot than fp's. Here is the reason why. If the bow is tuned, most archers in the know prefer a slightly high left tear (right hand shooter) since the arrow comes off the rest quicker and a slight reaction of the arrow out of the bow causes a equal reaction, and gives the arrow down range guidance.
With a broadhead, however, the head planes in the direction that the arrow wanted to go in the first place. This is not always bad, it is just a fact. You can still get great groups without tinkering with centershot, which I would not recomend.
First, move the pins, and if you have great groups, leave it alone.
If you need to tighten the groups, shoot a broadhead which does not plane as much. The muzzy 90 and thunderhead 100 are good examples. Or, if you are just hunting deer sized game, go to expandables. I have taken great animals with them.
If you truely have a tuning problem, it is because your arrow may be too stiff, run AA on it, or look at the tuning HOLES (not perfomance lines) on the Hoyt. Twist the cables until the holes are in sync. Hope all this -maybe to much- helps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cambow, so you are saying that no broadheads should hit the same spot as the field point?

I have never had this problem in the past. I tried 3-49 and no luck they still hit to the left. I have moved my rest in and out with no luck.

Looks like I will just live it.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
585 Posts
Boyeraz,I agree with Cambow,much too much is made of this and causes needless hair tearing in backyards across America.If your Broadheads are flying true to their group,be kind to yourself and just move the pins to center them up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
They can hit in the same spot, but my point is that if they don't, I would not jump to conclusions. In other words, it is not logical to conclude that because broadheads do not hit in the same spot as field points that therefore my bow is not properly tuned.
If a bow is properly tuned, broadheads may or may not hit in the same spot, depending upon the set up and tune, and your form.
If your broadhead groups are good, then I would draw the conclusion that your bow is tuned for your set up. I would and have just moved the pin settings. Groups are the key.
Over the years, I did discover, however, that shooting a draw length which is too long caused poor broadhead groups but acceptable field tip groups.
So, from my experience, my point is that a properly tuned bow may not always shoot broadhead groups with the same point of impact, and that attempting to achieve such a result may cause more frustration than progress. Others I am sure have different views, but I this has been my experience, hope it helps some.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Arrows...could you describe what you changed? It would be interesting to find out how you solved this one! Thanks.....

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was shooting 3-49 cut to 27 1/2.

I then tried 3-49 cut to 28 1/2.

My arrow spine became right for my setup.

·
Registered
275 Posts
On my first post, I had run AA on your setup which also indicated the 3-60 was too stiff. I just purchased Archer Advantage this year; it is great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts