Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curios about this issue, draw length and a D-Loop, will a d-Loop add to your draw length or not. My bows draw length is 29.5 and if I put a d-loop
on the bow would the change it to 30" if the d-loop is .5"??

·
Registered
8,999 Posts
Yes it adds length.

The actual draw length does not change it will still be 29 1/2 but you are adding a half inch you will have to draw back so you will actually be drawing 30".

·
Occam's Razor
8,800 Posts
Think about it. If you keep the same anchor, which you should, then your arrow will not come back as far by 1/2 inch. Then there is less force behind your shot so therefore........what has changed? If you draw and extend your anchor further back by 1/2 inch, then nothing has changed pertaining to your draw length.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
This is how draw length is measured.... ask yourself..... how adding a loop to the back of the string will change the draw length..... :wink:

·
Registered
514 Posts
It will not change your AMO draw length of the bow, IE; the power stroke. It may change your percieved draw length of the bow depending on how you anchor and how long the loop is.

If you are close to being too long on draw length now adding a loop may stretch you out enough that it is too long. If this were the case you may have to shorten the draw length of the bow some to have correct form and be comfortable. For someone that plays and gets thier draw length within 3/16's of an inch to where they want it, then adding a loop or switching releases may make a difference.

If you add a loop and anchor to the same spot on your face, say the back of your jaw, then your bow arm will be extended more in order to come to full draw. This could change your from and possibly grip pressure. If you keep everything else the same it will move your anchor point on your face back and up.

You will also have to retune your bow because the forces you are applying to your arrow are different then when you had the release under the arrow.

And the loop will most likely stretch a little bit after it is installed. So be prepared for that as well.

So it really depends on what you mean by "Will it change my draw length?"

Paul

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you have a draw stop, which a lot of bows do, you can't draw the bow past the stop. Adding a loop will move your anchor point back the length of the loop.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand

After some of the explanations, and I think about it, that was a DA.
Thanks for the explanations, sometimes we don't look at the obvious.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Skipper said:
After some of the explanations, and I think about it, that was a DA.
Thanks for the explanations, sometimes we don't look at the obvious.
Probably 80% of all people who shoot a bow think the draw length of the bow is somehow tied to where their release is on their face....

You have now joined a very small percentage of archers who know it isn't....

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
By adding the d-loop of 1/2 inch, you have effectively moved your knuckle that you anchor with FARTHER AWAY from the bowstring.

So, when you draw back the bow, that knuckle now GETS TO YOUR NORMAL ANCHOR 1/2" SOONER, and thus, to get the bow drawn back fully, you have to DRAW BACK PAST your "normal anchor"...1/2" FARTHER.....which is WHY you "FEEL" like you lengthened the draw length.

By adding the 1/2" d-loop, to use the SAME ANCHOR point, you must SHORTEN the draw length of the bow that 1/2" .

MOST people (95% or more) today are shooting bows with drawlengths of 1" to 3" too LONG and are also OVERBOWED by 5 to 15 pounds or more. The main culprits are the SPEED CRAZE, and the HIGH LETOFF that makes it so easy to hold back...what people fail to realize is that although holding it back is EASY....you STILL have to pull the TOTAL POUNDAGE at some point in the drawing cycle...

So, what happens? Skying the bow, twisting your hips, pulling ALL ARM with your elbow down below our shoulder, grunting and straining....just to get the bow drawn back (1" to 3" farther than you should)...then a SLAM into the light part of the cycle and sudden drop of all that poundage puts a terrible strain on the muscles and ligaments.

why? Because the WRONG MUSCLES are being used to draw the bow.

It is no wonder we see so many torn rotator cuffs, torn ligaments, sore joints, 'tennis elbows'....wrong combinations of equipment, improper fit, and totally improper technqiues are being taught and used...all for SPEED and to impress the friends and be MACHO.

field14

·
Registered
777 Posts
Skipper,
It appears your question has been answered.

A point not yet addressed here is that it may be possible to compensate for the addition of the loop by switching releases. I used to use a TruFire release that had over one inch of separation between the trigger and the caliper. Switching to a loop caused me big problems. I regained all of my drawlength when I changed to a Winn Free Flight release which has a gap of less than 1/2" between the trigger and string hook. There are now probably half a dozen releases on the market with similarly small gaps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sure your draw length changes

Put a 12" d loop on your bow and anchor where you feel comfortable....Has the draw length changed? Of Course!!!

I blew it out of proportion for just an example.

If you put a d loop on and want to anchor where you have been without the d loop your draw length will change...

Tall

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
TallBowguy said:
Put a 12" d loop on your bow and anchor where you feel comfortable....Has the draw length changed? Of Course!!!

I blew it out of proportion for just an example.

If you put a d loop on and want to anchor where you have been without the d loop your draw length will change...

Tall
No it didn't... you're just not able to draw it all the way back... :wink:

The distance between your anchor point and the bow grip did not change... so "YOUR" draw length did not change....

Neither did you change the "bows" draw length...(we're speaking of compound bows not recurves and stick bows) unless you mechanically do so...

All you did was make it physically impossible for you to fully draw the bow... :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts