Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have d-loops like this? Will it eventually give way? I just put a loop on bow for the first time, and noticed the mushrooms were like that. Any way to avoid this from happening? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Any one have d-loops like this? Will it eventually give way? I just put a loop on bow for the first time, and noticed the mushrooms were like that. Any way to avoid this from happening? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
don't burn the ends just melt them . fluff the ends up with finger. slowly heat, in and out of fire . don't let them catch fire
. for me i wont a ball end not a mushroom . just my experience

·
Registered
20,651 Posts
Pics of what you're talking about would be helpful.

When I make a loop, I "puff" the ends out and then melt them into a ball. You never want to actually burn the ends because they get brittle.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Many people get the ball hot and begin melting, then mash it onto something to flatten it out. You shouldn't do this. It destroys the structural integrity of the ball. Just melt it like posted above, then let it cool. This will result in balls that won't collapse or pull through no matter how much pressure you put on them.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
20150629_181807.jpg 20150629_181841.jpg

I realize I burnt the bottom one, but the top one is doing the same thing. The mushroom use to cover both sides of the d-loop material, but has folded/lost its shape under the presser of being drawn back. Now its only over one part of d loop material. Every time I draw I'm expecting it to give way lol. Will this hold up?

·
Registered
20,651 Posts
That should be okay but if you're worried about it, you should put on a new loop. Another little piece of material is a small cost for piece of mind.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The problem is your smashing it flat when its still super hot .....wait intil it cools a little then baby smash it ....it will keep alot stronger edged ball I use to do the same thing just let it cool and dont flatten it as much

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Many people get the ball hot and begin melting, then mash it onto something to flatten it out. You shouldn't do this. It destroys the structural integrity of the ball. Just melt it like posted above, then let it cool. This will result in balls that won't collapse or pull through no matter how much pressure you put on them.
This, don't touch the ball.

9,036 Posts
The problem is your smashing it flat when its still super hot .....wait intil it cools a little then baby smash it ....it will keep alot stronger edged ball I use to do the same thing just let it cool and dont flatten it as much
Been there and done that...flattened out the ends and they do fail over time. I just melt them now and leave well enough alone and have not had one fail since...it was a punch in the mouth when it did. Cheers!
Fred

·
Registered
51,134 Posts
Ball the end, use quality loop material. I have used colored loop material myself before but honestly I never like how the ends balled. NEVER smash an end flat, ball it leave it cool, then tie it on.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I'd take that loop off and pitch it; make a new one with some punkin ball sized melted ends. Fluff a little bigger to get bigger melted balls. Go easy with the heat. I also don't mash the balls, but some good archers do lightly mash them a little.

You also have another problem with nocks being too tight on the string/center serving. The nocks are flattening and eating up the center serving. I would replace center serving to fit whatever nocks you are using. Lots of good info out there on nock fit.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I took a #8x1.5" hex head bolt and indented the head with a 3/16" drill bit and placed it in my soldering iron,when hot just place end of d-loop in the indentation until i get a good round ball and let it cool by its self. works good!! never mash the ball.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts