Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Come on gang......

Somebody out there has used the new D-Loop pliers and has an idea how small a D-Loop it will tighten up.

I've seen them used but have never used them personally.

I usually cut my D-Loops material into 5" pieces and then burn and flatten the ends. Then I hand tie the loop into position and pull it tight by hand with my release aid. Never had one slip and I can carry precut spare loop material in my quiver. Comes in handy when a fellow shooter needs a new loop out on the range.

SLash

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have the viper ones and on the package it shows the ideal way to do it.It says you can get a loop down to 5/8 in.But if you really cinch it down you can go smaller.Don't cut your material to length until you have it tied.Burn one end,tie your knot,loop over and tie the other then cinch it up .Cut at 1/8 from your knot and burn..:RockOn:

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
I have the viper ones and on the package it shows the ideal way to do it.It says you can get a loop down to 5/8 in.But if you really cinch it down you can go smaller.Don't cut your material to length until you have it tied.Burn one end,tie your knot,loop over and tie the other then cinch it up .Cut at 1/8 from your knot and burn..:RockOn:
Do not precut the piece. Melt ONE end, pull it as tight as you can, then cut it and melt the other end. Squeeze the pliers!

Not to self: Becareful not to over tighten the loop since it is short. It will separate the serving!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
How small of a D-loop will this tool tighen

Thanks
Cabotvt
The d-loop pliers work nicely. A little over-kill but they do work. you can really tighten the knots to the point where you can damage the serving and mentioned.

I've pre-cut the d-loop string at 4 1/4" before and balled up the ends. Once I had it tied on the string by hand, the d-loop pliers will fit in it to tighten.

·
Registered
521 Posts
used the needle nosed pliers then broke down and bought the viper d loop pliers there is no comparison I used the vipers on the loop I have had on my bow for 2 or 3 months that I used needle nose pliers on with hardly any pressure on them they pulled my loop so tight that I had to untie one end and cut about 3/8" off of the loop to get it back to the right length

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
24,209 Posts
To have been made in China. I just soon use my American made needle nose plyers.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I tightened this loop with the Viper tool. It is 1/2" from back of string to inside of loop. it was a little tricky getting such a short loop string tied, but it is possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
When I purchased my last bow the shop owner installed a D-loop using the special D-loop pliers to tighten it down. To be honest, even though he really horked down on the loop using the pliers, it still slipped on the string when I shot. After awhile the loop tightened down naturally and stayed put. The pliers do not impress me one bit.

Automan

·
Registered
105 Posts
i also use needlenose pliers, and when you burn the ends be sure to burn them into a big enough ball that they dont slip through. i made this mistake and saw it starting to slip and thought it was just tightening itself up but just my luck the next shot punched myself in the face:eek: my stupid fault dont let it happen to you i know i didnt enjoy it lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
was playing with the d loop pliers and got a loop just 3/8" from back of string to inside of loop it doesn't leave but about 1/8" for the release with a nock on the string though which I don't think is enough for most releases you could always tie the loop below the arrow I guess

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I was not impressed with the viper pliers. They had burrs and imperfections so bad I had to do alot of machining with a dremel. I took an old pair of snap ring pliers and made a better tool for the job.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
small

So small some nocks will not fit in the loop with your release. Getting it started with a new "small" loop has a trick to it, but small. And they will torque it on there!

MJ

·
Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
When I purchased my last bow the shop owner installed a D-loop using the special D-loop pliers to tighten it down. To be honest, even though he really horked down on the loop using the pliers, it still slipped on the string when I shot. After awhile the loop tightened down naturally and stayed put. The pliers do not impress me one bit.

Automan
Nor me. I find I can do just as good a job with needle-nose pliers.

While I haven't done it yet, someone here suggested grinding a groove into the backs of a needle-nose pliers for the loop and string to bite into and prevent slipping. It seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Working in a pro shop and installing a few thousand d loops a year I have never had a d loop come undone. When I install a standard d loop I use a set of Vipers. When I make a custom length loop I use needle nose with grooves ground into the back sides for the cord to prevent slipping.

For my personal bows, I use needle nose. I use bowstring material to tie above and below my nock to prevent pinch and if you use the Vipers to tighten the loop you will screw up the center serving and end up with a mess.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.