Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to tie d-loops as short as possible to not significantly change my LOP. I tie the BCY material as tight as possible, but when I cinch down the ends on the serving, the loop invariably stretches to about 3/4 long.

I would rather not have to buy shorter draw cams to use a d-loop. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
most of the time when u put a new loop on, they don't actually stretch, when u pull the bow back, you are just pulling it tighter, in which makes it a little longer

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Cut it shorter??

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I let the new loops settle, and then undo one of the knots to trim to the length I want. The knots are where most of the "stretch" comes from. The needle nose pliers tightening method is the best way to get the knots settled at the start. They still stretch a little after that, but shortening them up is easy. Mine are 1/4 inch long from the string and are easy to hook with Zenith and Carter releases I use.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I start with a long piece and tie the first knot and then tug and pull on the remaining loop material to get the first knot as tight as I can. This also removes some of the "stretch" in the material. I then tie the second knot so the loop is much smaller than I need. I place a pair of needle nose pliers in the loop and open them up. This helps to produce a d-loop with minimal stretch for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Doc said:
I start with a long piece and tie the first knot and then tug and pull on the remaining loop material to get the first knot as tight as I can. This also removes some of the "stretch" in the material. I then tie the second knot so the loop is much smaller than I need. I place a pair of needle nose pliers in the loop and open them up. This helps to produce a d-loop with minimal stretch for me.
Doc's method is right on. ;)

I am having good luck with pre-strectched loop material. Of course, proper loop tying is critical.

I have tested several different loop materials. I have found that most loop material experiences a noteable amount of stretch under static weight. I have measured the stretch to be about 1.5 inches on an 90 inch lentgh of material. Some more, some less. But, all materials stretched.

What I am doing is waxing the loop material well. Then, I am hanging 65 pounds of weights to the end of a 90 inch length of material. Most of the stretch occurs within 8 hours.

All that said.... If you pre-stretch your, well waxed, loop material you will likely decrease the amount of loop stretch. Your knots will cinch tighter.This is due to the diameter of the loop material being decreased as it is strectched, and the added wax.

I hope that helps some,

Bambi Killer

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Besides the above, one of the things I do is put together a few lengths of slightly too long D-loops which I shoot for a day or two each. Then take them off. What I end up with is a bunch of pre-stretched/pre-shot loops that are good from the word go.

And yes, lots of wax when tieing them up.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Try starting with a 4 1/4" long piece (including the melted ends).
The shorter length makes it a little tougher to tie the knot, but gives a nice sized loop when stretched tight with needlenose pliers.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Christopher Lee said:
Besides the above, one of the things I do is put together a few lengths of slightly too long D-loops which I shoot for a day or two each. Then take them off. What I end up with is a bunch of pre-stretched/pre-shot loops that are good from the word go.

And yes, lots of wax when tieing them up.

Hope this helps.
OOPS!

Forgot, I put them on to the desired length, then cut the excess and burn and set in with the needle-nosed. It's a lot easier than having them at exact length.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
When I tie mine on I tie on one side and pull it as tight as I can with pliers. Then when I tie on the other side I make it where my release wont even fit in with the knock. I then use needle nose pliers inside the loop to tighten it the best I can. I can hardly get the release on without hitting the nock on the first pull. My loops are super small. I do use G-Nocks which help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts