Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hopefully you don’t mind me butting in but what does everyone use for d-loop material? Mine looks similar to yours but that’s because I may have accidentally let go of my hand release...oops.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have seen this several times over the years with caliper style releases (duel jaws) I convinced several friends to switch to a hook style release & it usually fixes this issue also a good rule of thumb after 2 to 3 thousand shots replace it weather it needs it or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have seen this several times over the years with caliper style releases (duel jaws) I convinced several friends to switch to a hook style release & it usually fixes this issue also a good rule of thumb after 2 to 3 thousand shots replace it weather it needs it or not.
yeah those caliper types are normally the ones i see fraying the d loop

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Maybe just the pic - but although frayed - that loop doesn't look broken - so wondering how you injured yourself in the manner you say?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hopefully you don’t mind me butting in but what does everyone use for d-loop material? Mine looks similar to yours but that’s because I may have accidentally let go of my hand release...oops.
Pine Ridge Archery--Nitro is the best for "no stretch", and it really doesn't stretch. Cir-cut or Gibbs Superloop, stretches some, but once you learn how to adjust it on installation, it will outlast any bowstring made. Superloop in 2.4mm is my favorite. Some people like their smaller diameter, but it's hard to find now. Neither brand of those materials would ever do what the OP's did, with any release made.

·
Registered
Elite Revol XL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
as I pulled back on last arrow d loop silp out were it is been frayed... I tried a 2nd arrow and pulled back slowly to make sure of what was going on..

·
Registered
Mathews Triax
39 Posts
I use a Carter 2 Shot - not a "cheap" release by any means. I have 3 of them and they all eat up D loops within 2-3 months of shooting a few times per week. I have a Triax and a VXR and its happened to both. MY Mathews shop used a different material for the loop on the VXR last time and it has held up thus far. The Triax is sitting in the bow hanger now waiting on a new loop.

·
Registered
Elite Revol XL
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK I'm start to feel better I shoot daily morning and night In between 50 to 70 arrows each time period.
🤔🤓
So if I am reading everybody else's usage right I should be replacing my D loop about once a month...

·
Registered
Mathews Triax
39 Posts
OK I'm start to feel better I shoot daily morning and night In between 50 to 70 arrows each time period.
🤔🤓
So if I am reading everybody else's usage right I should be replacing my D loop about once a month...
I'm not saying my experience is normal by any means. My brother shoots with me and has never frayed a loop. Alphateam above may be onto something about caliper releases - none of the guys I hunt with have the issue as often as I do. I like the release I use enough to deal with replacing the loops every couple of months. I've done the whole Q-tip test on mine and cannot find a burr that would be causing it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My b
I'm not saying my experience is normal by any means. My brother shoots with me and has never frayed a loop. Alphateam above may be onto something about caliper releases - none of the guys I hunt with have the issue as often as I do. I like the release I use enough to deal with replacing the loops every couple of months. I've done the whole Q-tip test on mine and cannot find a burr that would be causing it.
My best guess as to why the calipers do that is probably because for a split second the d loop has to squeeze through the middle where the calipers meet. I read somewhere that the more let off the bow has, the less likely this is to occur because of the forces on the d loop at full draw and release.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Maybe just the pic - but although frayed - that loop doesn't look broken - so wondering how you injured yourself in the manner you say?
i would say the loop was frayed enough to slip out of a not completely closed caliper. some of the less expensive calipers don't close all the way when they have a load on them. it's one of the reasons it pays toby a good brand of wrist release. they aren't all made the same !. it is said that the "single caliper" type releases (where only one side of the caliper moves) are famous for this.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts

I've been using this material for years and have never had an issue. If you peck around this site you can find a cord diameter that meets your specs. They will send you a sample and if you're lucky like I was, the sample might be long enough to make a test loop. If you order the sample they often send a discount offer on your first roll. One roll will keep you and all your friends, their brothers, uncles, and the kid next door supplied with loops for the rest of your lives. This material is the best loop cord I've ever used. Honestly, it's a crime what they charge for D-loop cord. A roll of this material, at the discount, will pay for itself.

Automan

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
i've got some camo colored loop chord that is real hard and stiff. is a pain to tie a loop with, but i've had the same loop on my hunting bow for as long as i've had my strings on it (way too long !) and the loop still looks fine. i don't remember what chord it is, or where i got it, but i'd like to find out .

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do the same as automan26. I checked with a local mini-blind repair shop and they gave me a couple of yards for free.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
i would say the loop was frayed enough to slip out of a not completely closed caliper. some of the less expensive calipers don't close all the way when they have a load on them. it's one of the reasons it pays toby a good brand of wrist release. they aren't all made the same !. it is said that the "single caliper" type releases (where only one side of the caliper moves) are famous for this.
Thanks - FYI caliper releases in general were never designed to shoot from a D Loop - they were designed to shoot off the bow string - the only specifically designed D loop releases have the hook...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
No dispresect to anyone but why not just use the right stuff built for the job. I get save money when ya can but you can get a foot of BCY24 for less than a dollar a foot. With all the money in our bows what's .50 cents for a d-loop?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts