Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to the forum. My son wants to learn to shoot a bow so I got him a PSE 62" traditional recurve. I am by no strech of the imagination an archer nor do I claim to be, so I was under the impression that this thing would come out of the box ready to shoot. I was smart enough to buy a stringer, but I'm getting hung up on the arrow rest. There are no real archery shops in the area or archery clubs either, so I don't have anywhere to bring it and say "Make this work PLEASE!". I'm pretty much stuck ordering stuff off the internet, but there are just so many different styles and types, one looks like a peice of velcro and the next one looks llike something out of a Terminator movie. If someone could PLEASE help me figure out what I need to get to get this kid shooting I would REALLY appriciate it.

Thanks!!!!

·
<---(.)(.)---<<<
2,307 Posts
Put some felt on the shelf and shoot.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Recurve...fingers.....Outstanding choice for a first bow! Will help him develop proper form. For a rest just stick a plunger button/flipper rest on there.

·
Bowhunter
1,805 Posts
You can set it up to shoot off the shelf if the arrows are fletched with feathers. Put on a couple of pads from the stick on velcro you can get at just about any store, use the fuzzy half and put on pad on the bottom of the shelf, out from the side about 1/8 inch and the other on the side with about 1/8 inch gap on the bottom. The gap allows the feather on the arrow to pass easier. If the arrows are fletched with plastic vanes, then get one of the simple finger like rests that stick onto the side of the shelf. You might want to post up in the traditional forum as I am sure there will be some folks over there that would help you out.

Mike

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
All you need to getting him started is stick- on rest from Hoyt, a finger tab, an arm guard to protect the bow arm (from the string hitting it), and some arrows. You can get all those from Lancaster Archery online. You could give them a call and ask them what kind of arrows are best for the bow poundage. Does the string have a nock installed?
I am assuming you have a couple of bales of hay he can shoot in, otherwise you need a target. Keep reading the AT for suggestions and as many questions as you have.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
First off welcome to Archery talk,you will find some many answer's here . If someone by chance cant help you ,nvcnvc is right just call up Lancaster Archery and they can answer all of your questions. There number is 800-829-7408

1 - 8 of 8 Posts