Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for a Dad's who hunt with there daughters.

I have a little girl 3.5 yrs old, my only child, I like to hunt, fish etc. My wife is not an Anti-hunter but does not see the point and does not understand why I feel the need to hunt etc. I feel to eat the meat and appreciate it you have to be willing to do the harvesting yourself.

I know if we had a son my wife would not have such a problem with me taking him hunting/fishing, but I understand my wife wants a little girl in clean nice dresses with dolls.

My little girl see's my bows and rifles and straight away wants to go with myself any my father hunting. I told my wife tonight I was going to get my girl some camo and out hunting as she keeps asking to go, it has not gone down well with the Mr's. I just want to bond with my child and she see's how much I enjoy it and wants to be in on it. My next plan was a Diamond Nuclear Ice bow to get her started.

Am I being to pushy, should I wait until she's older to make a more informed choice. Dad's with daughters what do you think?. I wish they came with an instructional manual. Should I take her out with us or not?.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Both my daughters started asking to come along at about the age of your daughter. I started them off with really short hunts for squirrels lasting about an hour and a half. We used groung blinds so that they could do things to pass the time. Then we graduated to evening deer hunts lasting a little longer. We used buddy ladder stands.

As they got a little older school activites limited opportunities. Now they are 12 and 14. Both hunt a fair amount with me. Both girls have taken deer with bow and rifle. They don't choose to go all they time but they ask often enough that shows they enjoy it. Both daughter help with deer processing and we have fun with it.

Start slowly, quit for the day when they become bored. I would not trade the talks we have had in the woods or on a lake for anything. Take her out and see how it goes.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Mine like to help clean all the birds, play with the feathers, watch while a deer is quartered or gutted and just generally be "out hunting". My oldest is my best scouting partner and is far better at knowing when to be quiet...my little one takes after me more when it comes to that.

I haven't taken either one bowhunting yet because most of my hunts are of the Bataan Death March variety, but I'm hoping to include a DB blind in my arsenal of tricks so that I can have them with me more.

They are both definitely girls though with Barbie and Princess everything, and pink rooms and most of their clothing.

My oldest with a friend of ours buck and the two girls spotting for mom's buck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Both my daughters fish & shoot bow. They aren't old enough to hunt yet, but have helped clear shooting lanes,etc.
My niece decided she wanted to hunt when she was 12, but only small game. When she was about 15 or 16 she said she wanted to deer hunt. We have let them tell us when they were ready.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't advocate half-truths in a relationship, but if you have to go "shopping", and it just so happens to take all day, well take your lil' girl "shopping".

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
If your daughter expresses interest it's your duty as Dad to get her involved no matter what Mom says! I too have 2 girls 6 and 9 and both of them can't wait until they are a little older to learn how to fly fish with me. Archery, not much interest yet. Last year I took my then 8 year old on her first full on backpacking trip and we were out for 3 nights in Yosemite, just me and her. It was one of the best weekends of my life!

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
First of ALL excellent posts and terrific pics! It's really awesome to see all us dads getting their daughters outdoors.

My wife is the SAME EXACT way! Never any camo clothes, and nothing to do with hunting. I bought my daughter a bow and she loved shooting with me. Now she has the Nuclear Ice. Sounds weird but now I think my wife is getting alittle jealous.(lol) My daughter and I spend alot of time together outdoors and the wife is funny about it.

Cool thing is now the wife is showing interest in beginning to shoot.Now i'm going to buy her a bow maybe for Christmas.

My advice, buy your daughter a bow and never look back. Even if she doesn't stik with it forever you'll have created a bond with her and memories that will carry her through life:)And you never know, your wife may be next

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
At that age my daughter told her mother, "I want to."
Take mom along, also. Not necessarily for a real hunt, but go into the woods, spend time doing as normal, let them both learn as much as possible. My daughter simply came alive when she and her brother came with me. The wife could not be bothered to do anything like that, but the kids both love the outdoors and all it has to offer.
I'll be getting to do it all over again, I hope, with three granddaughters aging 14, 8, and 5.

Ted

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
No...you're not being too pushy. You're wife is the one being out of line. There is nothing more important to the development of a young girl than a strong bond with her father.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, My daughter is the wanting to join me also with the same issues with the wife! LOL I hope and will not force her into joining me! My daughter is 8 and I have yet to buy her a bow or let her shoot a gun. I am thinking about taking her in the woods with me this year. I have been introducing her to the sport one step at a time. First stop was a deer farm to show her the live animal. Then the sheds that fall off every year. Then the treestand site and last the thrill of the kill that is brought home! She still wants to join so I am thinking of letting her start. Dont rush it! When they are young they will watch and learn so let it all fall in place! You will find your special way to that princess's heart one way or other!

My daughter just saw me post this and said "Dad I really really want to deer hunt!"

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
My daughter is 10, she will shoot a small bow with me from time to time. She has come out out and helped me track. With that said, she has never shown any interest in hunting, we have done some fishing, but she has lost interst. I do not ask her if she wants to go, if she wans to go I would take her. During the summer we do other outdoor activities and in the winter we spend as much time as possible outdoors. I took her to the mall last friday and hung out together while mom was at home studying. I let her choose what we do together as a daughter and father. I have taken a laid back approach with her, and my wife did not set the tone. Maybe about 5-7 years ago I saw a pretty famous hunter/fisherman take his daughter hunting, she shot a deer and turned the other way as it ran off, well they tracked it and she had to make a follow up shot. It seemed that she did not want to do it and it appeared as though she was in agony about being there. Now, that was my recollection and perception of what I saw and knowing how I feel when I commit to kill an animal(domestic or wild)I feel that my daughter is not wired for that. I would want her to be perfectly clear on what her intentions are in killing an animal, and the responsibility it bears. I will proprogate other avenues for us to share time together that bring her joy, whether a cozy fire, diving in the lake or standing outside the teeny bopper store while she shops and I try to look cool....:)I have searched my heart to be a dad and at this point in her life this is where she is, and she knows I love to bowhunt so she is excited for me.
Solohunter

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Well, My daughter is the wanting to join me also with the same issues with the wife! LOL I hope and will not force her into joining me! My daughter is 8 and I have yet to buy her a bow or let her shoot a gun. I am thinking about taking her in the woods with me this year. I have been introducing her to the sport one step at a time. First stop was a deer farm to show her the live animal. Then the sheds that fall off every year. Then the treestand site and last the thrill of the kill that is brought home! She still wants to join so I am thinking of letting her start. Dont rush it! When they are young they will watch and learn so let it all fall in place! You will find your special way to that princess's heart one way or other!

My daughter just saw me post this and said "Dad I really really want to deer hunt!"
Very well said ,and great pics.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My daughter is 7 and shoots bow and fishes... None of us hunt yet but I will take her when we get our licence if she wants

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
They can be both,the girl that wears dresses and plays with dolls as well as hunting.

My daughter has gun hunted since she was 8 and harvested several deer.She has gone bowhunting but she doesn't really get into it like I do.

Remind the wife that she is your daughter too and that you have a right to bond with your daughter as well.Maybe even get the wife out on some nature walks and/or shed hunting just to give her a taste of what you are doing and why.

Ultimately,the choice should be your daughter's.

Here are some pics of my daughter.

dance team after winning state fair competition 14 years old.

12 years old in this pic

also 12

Enough with the pretty stuff,how about some hunting photos.

she is 15 here

·
Registered
458 Posts
daughters and hunting

Well, I have a bonus child that just turned 4, she is actually my granddaughter but I have had guardianship of her since 1 month old. She loves to shoot her bow and fish, my wife is proably similiar to yours in that she doesn't understand it to say the least. We are going to the woods on Thursday with my other hunting and shooting partner(my 12 year old son), spend time with her and teach her as much about the outdoors as possible and you will be able to tell with a little time how much interest she has in it. Maybe you will be lucky and create a little outdoors monster like I have, she already has gone through 2 bows and has a nice hoyt intenstiy target bow currently that she shoots everyday that I shoot in the backyard. Good luck and enjoy them while they are young and you can still keep up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
absolutely if your daughter wants to go and shows interest take her and if your wife doesn't understand she is being very selfish in my opinion

·
Registered
511 Posts
They can be both,the girl that wears dresses and plays with dolls as well as hunting.

My daughter has gun hunted since she was 8 and harvested several deer.She has gone bowhunting but she doesn't really get into it like I do.

Remind the wife that she is your daughter too and that you have a right to bond with your daughter as well.Maybe even get the wife out on some nature walks and/or shed hunting just to give her a taste of what you are doing and why.

Ultimately,the choice should be your daughter's.

Here are some pics of my daughter.

dance team after winning state fair competition 14 years old.

12 years old in this pic

also 12

Enough with the pretty stuff,how about some hunting photos.

she is 15 here

I feel really bad for you!! This is the reason I pray for boys.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts