Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a repair special 70# Martin Mag Fury XT-Vista on Ebay to find an unwanted extra,
Textile Sleeve Wood Grey Floor
top limb damaged. Got some money back and the obvious solution is Barnsdale for somewhat more than I already have invested. There are four longitudinal, perfectly rectangular shards from 1/8 wide x1 1/2 inch to 1/16x 1/2 inch going back on the underside of the limb (compression side ) that come back to the pivot point at the front of the riser and they are only superficial, about 1/16 deep. If it was on the outside of the curve there would be no question but it looks repairable to me or at least worth a try.

The plan is to mask the camo as well as possible, warm the limb, lift the splinters with a needle and carefully get as much thin slow curing epoxy in there as possible, hoping it will soak all the way back when I clamp it.

Any educated advice on glue type (superglue maybe) or just the chuck test would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My opinion...absolutely a bad idea. Best case scenario is the limb holds together on the first shot after repair; worst case scenario is a trip to the emergency room after the limb let's loose like a bomb.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Admittedly, I’m very curious if you plan will work.

However…Personally, I’d consider the limb toast and cut my losses. Id assume that the deamination compromises the structural integrity of the limb, regardless of which side it is on. I’m not an engineer and wouldn’t want to risk any further damage to myself of the bow. But last I checked, this is America and you’re free to do what you want.
🇺🇸 🦅 🇺🇸 🦅🇺🇸🦅🇺🇸🦅

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
But last I checked, this is America and you’re free to do what you want.
🇺🇸 🦅 🇺🇸 🦅🇺🇸🦅🇺🇸🦅
True, but if you bothered to look, he has the Australian flag beside his name, and his profile says "Toronto, Canada".

I love both countries, and am as proud of America as anybody, but man, what a whiff on that one. 🥴

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
There is absolutely no way I would take shortcuts there. Going to compromise the integrity of the limb and have a real mess on your hands. Injury is very possible.

·
Registered
75 Posts
By chance was there any sticker or decal type deal there before? On my bow where the clear info sticker that tells D.L., D.W., ATA n other info was I peeled it off because the writing on it was long gone n the edges of it were starting to peel up so I just ripped it off and doing so the finish came off too lol. Could it be something like that I wonder? Just trying to wishful think for you I guess, sux. Hopefully it works out n you can get out there shooting n enjoying your bow.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Don't judge a book by it's cover; don't trust personalities on online dating platforms; don't marvel over beauty that is only skin deep, and don't trust the damage you see is all that is there... That's an onion that is probably rotten several layers deep.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Bought a repair special 70# Martin Mag Fury XT-Vista on Ebay to find an unwanted extra, View attachment 7489262 top limb damaged. Got some money back and the obvious solution is Barnsdale for somewhat more than I already have invested. There are four longitudinal, perfectly rectangular shards from 1/8 wide x1 1/2 inch to 1/16x 1/2 inch going back on the underside of the limb (compression side ) that come back to the pivot point at the front of the riser and they are only superficial, about 1/16 deep. If it was on the outside of the curve there would be no question but it looks repairable to me or at least worth a try.

The plan is to mask the camo as well as possible, warm the limb, lift the splinters with a needle and carefully get as much thin slow curing epoxy in there as possible, hoping it will soak all the way back when I clamp it.

Any educated advice on glue type (superglue maybe) or just the chuck test would be appreciated.
.........looking closer, you have some more cracks beginning up near the pocket..........initially, if it were only the couple, I'd absolutely attempt to glue it..........but it looks like theres just too many

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True, but if you bothered to look, he has the Australian flag beside his name, and his profile says "Toronto, Canada".

I love both countries, and am as proud of America as anybody, but man, what a whiff on that one. 🥴
Thanks guy. I am a Canadian, I live in Australia, my son is in Toronto and received a sight I purchased some time ago, I been to college and I mind my own business.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody -Had a look with some magnifiers and there was way more damage than I had guessed. Do you use the term 'Beer goggles' in the USA? (Referring to female desirability) Ageing eyes aren't much different and onto the scrap heap they go. Interestingly the tiller was 1/8 out suggesting something pretty bad.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,745 Posts
when the limbs have a crack ,or cracked,, the limbs loose poundage, they are not matched then, there is no fixing it..

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
In my experience sometimes getting a "good deal" on something that needs repair usually ends up cost a lot more and tons time/headache. Simply not worth it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts