Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
escaped from the loonybin
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last 4 months, I've lost 2 solar chargers off my Moultrie feeder. I'm pretty sure it's squirrels (going by the chew marks on top of the lid), but I can't discount raccoons breaking part of the spinner and the wire from the charger to the motor. This second one was completely torn off the feeder! How do I keep them from climbing the legs?? I thought vaseline, but I don't know if the smell would keep deer away, and I can only get out there about once a month, which isn't frequent enough if summer thunderstorms remove it.

Carpet tack strips?
Expensive anti-pest add-ons?
Vaseline?

What do you all use to keep the critters from ruining your feeder and solar charger?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
They didn't eliminate them but now only see one occasionally on feeder not 4-5 every night. Definitely worth the money

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I've quit trying to keep them from climbing the legs and just build a wire critter cage the same diameter of the barrel. They can climb and hang on it, but it is far enough from the wire to the spinner that they can't reach anything.

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sharks teeth

I actually went to sun slingers. No wires no problems
Hmmm... The reviews I'm finding of Sharks Teeth show raccoons climbing the Sharks Teeth. If it can't deter a raccoon, how is it going to deter a lighter squirrel?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My buddy was hunting hogs over his feeder the other afternoon. He heard noise over at the feeder but couldn't see anything. About an hour before dark the lid of his feeder opened and 7 coons came out of his feeder. Needless to say, he has to fill his feeder and lock the lid.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Hmmm... The reviews I'm finding of Sharks Teeth show raccoons climbing the Sharks Teeth. If it can't deter a raccoon, how is it going to deter a lighter squirrel?
Well I'm just telling my experience with them over the last 5-6 years. After countless solar panels destroyed and hard telling home many tons of corn eaten. They helped immensely!!!!!!

I have since went to the sun slinger and the unit is fully enclosed and that too helped. I'm pretty sure I said it didn't fully solve the problem but it damn sure slowed them down. I've found plenty of blood on the sharks teeth too know they do work as a deterrent

·
Registered
17,696 Posts
For rhe last 10 years I have used slinkys on my bird feeders & they work great attach at top of leg & let it hang down, keeps them from climbing up cost about $2.00
at walmart toy dept.

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For rhe last 10 years I have used slinkys on my bird feeders & they work great attach at top of leg & let it hang down, keeps them from climbing up cost about $2.00
at walmart toy dept.
Does this also work on non-vertical posts? You wouldn't happen to have a picture of how you attached it, would you?

Well I'm just telling my experience with them over the last 5-6 years. After countless solar panels destroyed and hard telling home many tons of corn eaten. They helped immensely!!!!!!

I have since went to the sun slinger and the unit is fully enclosed and that too helped. I'm pretty sure I said it didn't fully solve the problem but it damn sure slowed them down. I've found plenty of blood on the sharks teeth too know they do work as a deterrent
That's actually very encouraging to hear. I wonder if there is a trick to mounting them that others weren't doing that allowed the coons to climb the Sharks Teeth?
My buddy was hunting hogs over his feeder the other afternoon. He heard noise over at the feeder but couldn't see anything. About an hour before dark the lid of his feeder opened and 7 coons came out of his feeder. Needless to say, he has to fill his feeder and lock the lid.
Clever critters! However, unless a raccoon can twist my feeder lid 60° to get in and then do it again to close the lid when it leaves, I don't think that is a problem I will have.

I'm about to pull the trigger on these. One of my buddies on the lease uses them and has eliminated the problem.
Glad to hear more people having success!

The more I'm reading, I'm hearing of folks putting PVC pipes around the legs because the animals can't get any grip on it with their claws. Anyone have experience with this?

Has anyone tried the poor-man's Sharks Teeth and mounted carpet tack strips to the legs?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I have never had an issue with squirrels messing with the solar panel. It's always the feeder mechinism. They chew through it thinking they will get to the corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never had an issue with squirrels messing with the solar panel. It's always the feeder mechinism. They chew through it thinking they will get to the corn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's more the wire leading from the solar panel that the mess with, and, I suppose, trying to sit/climb on it.

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I tried some of the carpet tack strips as a short term fix until I could get something better figured out; they were useless. Hopefully the PVC pipe suspended around the leg by a spring and some wire will keep them from climbing high enough to get to the spinner. It only cost me $20 in supplies, 10 minutes to make them, and about 15 minutes to get them installed.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Take a 18" section of pvc that is larger than the legs of your feeder, slip a section on each leg and run a bolt under the pvc, when the coon climbs across the pvc it will spin and throw the coon off. The coons are not the issue for the solar panel it is the squirrels. I have went through a ton of the panels before i finally ran my wiring thru metal flexible conduit.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Take a 18" section of pvc that is larger than the legs of your feeder, slip a section on each leg and run a bolt under the pvc, when the coon climbs across the pvc it will spin and throw the coon off. The coons are not the issue for the solar panel it is the squirrels. I have went through a ton of the panels before i finally ran my wiring thru metal flexible conduit.
Well not any squirrels around here and my wires and solar panels were getting destroyed by coons.

But I definitely want to try the PVC method just wasn't sure how they were attaching it

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll get some pictures tomorrow of what I've set up. I have 3' sections of PVC suspended by a spring on each leg so that it spins and springs back.

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It works! This is all the farther the critters got:

Here is the setup:

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've quit trying to keep them from climbing the legs and just build a wire critter cage the same diameter of the barrel. They can climb and hang on it, but it is far enough from the wire to the spinner that they can't reach anything.
I did the same thing on my feeder.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts