Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Getting things figured
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has recently had an extremely dangerous situation arise with his Horton Brotherhood. When the crossbow's safety is moved to the fire position the crossbow goes off firing the bolt without touching the trigger at all. I offered to research his options for him which he understands may be limited due to the buyout by Tenpoint. Two local shops have refused to even touch the crossbow.

I've read that the Hortons have had recalls in the past with the anti dryfire mechanism and he and I both wonder if parts are available. Is this safety issue something that can be dealt with by an individual?

He isn't thrilled with the thought of possibly having to replace a crossbow that is only a couple years old due to the buyout and Tenpoint not supporting Horton products.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I had a 1992 Excalibur Wolverine do that. They rebuilt my trigger with new parts they had left over 3 years ago. Excalibur told me some get warren down over the years. Likely need a new trigger. A good trigger guy could have new parts made by a machine shop. Sounds like the seer is warren down. Wonder if Triggertech could be of any help? Never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
dpete,,, if he can not find someone to repair it, best to scrap it and move on,,, The bad accident is just waiting to happen, best to cut his losses and buy a quality bow ...

·
Getting things figured
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The accidental shooting is almost what happened. The bolt missed his wife by about 2ft and went through a plate glass patio door.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
The accidental shooting is almost what happened. The bolt missed his wife by about 2ft and went through a plate glass patio door.
HOLY CRAP, glad nobody was hurt!! If it was mine, I'd wrap that thing around the closest tree...

Mike

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I will never load my crossbow in the house or in the yard unless I am pointing away from everything and everyone

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Sounds like a bad situation with the possibility for an injury. No surprise that the shops wouldn't touch it. I really have to ask why you or your buddy would think TenPoint would or should provide support for bows they didn't build or have parts for ? Just to clarify, Horton went bankrupt all on their own, it wasn't a buy out. TenPoint bought some of the assets such as Machinery, Patents, and License agreements.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Your buddy probably can sell that xbow for a lot of money to some guy! Jk
Glad no one was hurt. It would go in the trash if mine.

·
Getting things figured
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a bad situation with the possibility for an injury. No surprise that the shops wouldn't touch it. I really have to ask why you or your buddy would think TenPoint would or should provide support for bows they didn't build or have parts for ? Just to clarify, Horton went bankrupt all on their own, it wasn't a buy out. TenPoint bought some of the assets such as Machinery, Patents, and License agreements.
Your absolutely right, I did read that is what happened and I used the incorrect terminology as shorthand. When you hear Tenpoint "bought out" Horton the term tends to stick in your head despite knowing the actual circumstances. Neither of us assumed that Tenpoint had any obligation to support Horton products. I am simply trying to find out what the options might be and if parts or repair are even a possibility.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'd take it apart to see if I could figure it out, but I'm kind of a "tinkerer". If if wasn't something simple like gummed up with dirt I'd part it out and trash the trigger assy.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
never herd of a trigger issue with the Brotherhoods.if your buddy wants to have it looked at check with Joe Hess at the crossbow store in Vonore TN. he knows Hortons.otherwise id part it out.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Ditch it before something bad happens. Not worth the risk. Like Willie said you can sell the good parts.

·
Incureable tinkerer
4,257 Posts
Make sure the trigger is in the forward position after cocking. May be sticking back and needs lubrication to release it forward. If so try TriLube. Unlikely a "trigger guy" will handle the job replacement without parts available. You may be able to buy another Horton for cheap and swap triggers.

·
Getting things figured
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the suggestions! He isn't looking forward to replacing a fairly new and up until now functioning crossbow. At least now he knows options exist other than taking a total loss on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts