Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats to Darren Collins (1st) and Randy Ulmer (2nd) - Once again Golden Key Futura is in the winners circle! Both of these guys are great & as many of you know Randy Ulmer is one of the all time best 3-D shooters!

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
I'd say that Ulmer is the best unmarked distance target shooter in history so far (compound)-winning 8 of 14 pro events in a two year span combined with the first FITA compound field title (with unmarked targets out to 55m [about 60 yards] is a record hard to argue against.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Does Randy Ulmer shoot any big IBO or ASA events anymore? It seems you never hear his name at these shoots. It's a shame if he doesn't. I would love to meet him sometime at one of these shoots.

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
I think Randy spends most of his time with a bow hunting. What really impressed me about this guy was a quote I saw in a magazine interview when he was winnning everything in sight. THey asked him what his best achievement was and he said
"graduating valedictorian of his Vet school"

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I met Randy at the ATA show this past winter & got to spend a while chatting with him. He discovered that his family and children are more important than running after IBO & ASA titles. He even mentioned how important it was to spend quality time with them when he spoke at a private party. He's just a real guy which is what makes him so special to archery. We can all relate to him in some way shape or form.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
class act

I had the honor of meeting Randy several years ago and he is a true class act!!!! If there is a better one out there I don't know who it would be!!!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
ulmer

Not trying to start anything but for eveyone talking about how nice a guy ulmer is I happen to know a few years ago a 14 yr old kid asked Mr ulmer a question about a sight and his reply was if you get as good as me you wont need a sight and walked away. So I just though I would let you know some people act a little different around groups than people.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My family met Randy Ulmer at the IBO Worlds a few years ago in NY, we caught him at a slow moment in the vendors area and he just dropped down on his knees and talked to my two sons for 20 minutes about bowhunting, bows, practicing etc. They LOVED it. We later saw him at dinner eating alone and invited him over, but he was meeting his wife so he passed. The entire time he was VERY polite, very nice and a great guy.

--Bob

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Darren Collins

Randy Ulmer may be a class act but Darren is a great guy too. He has a great sense of humor and will talk to anybody, anytime. Congrats to both.

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
marineinnc23-

What is your point?

Can we follow you around for a few years and see if you happen to have any lapses in kindness or generosity, too?

Please give the guy a break. I would hate to think of how many times I've said something that was misunderstood or made a comment that I wish I would have taken back.

Given the balance of the remarks about Mr. Ulmer, I would say (if your comment is true) that he was simply caught at a bad moment.

I don't recall anyone bowing in reverence to him; they simply have stated that he is a nice, friendly man.

·
74,535 Posts
Randy Ulmer`

I have the oppertunity to be in seminars and talk to Randy several times at ASA events and trade shows. Guys nothing but class and is always willing to help anyone who ask. Now thats a true pro. Tough competier as you will find. Hoyt did good picking up guys like him.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes ...they both are Great Shots and Super People..

Golden Key is proud that they are shooting our Products....

GKF Tech;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes Darren...

is also a good hunter and a nice person...

Both Great Shooters using GKF Products..

Watch this on ESPN ...
They will be repeating it again.

GKF Tech:p

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
GKF TECH,

Do you know what rests Ulmer and Collins were shooting? I couldn't tell on ESPN. They were shooting too damn fast!:)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Randy uses a fall away and uses the Mirage a lot. I think Darren Collins uses one of the Premier rests.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wonder why they threw out the event where you run from 30 yds. up to 20,shoot an arrow then run back to 30 and shoot another one.When we shot at they qualifier at Erie that was the last event.

Those guys all make it look a lot easier than it is!:)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I liked the one they replaced it with, where you shoot 4 spots, then a 5th to drop the arm. Now if they could just figure out a way to do a "dueling tree" like the rifle guys, where you can choose to shoot your targets to flip them, or the other guys to "unflip" them :D

--Bob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts