Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Cutting from the back dramtically increases the spine much more than cutting the same length from the front. That's maybe why Dave went with such a route.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pete thanks for the link to those pictures. there are some great pictures of archers form and follow thru.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dave's X10's

It's only a guess, but I suspect that by cutting from the back he can get away with using a slimmer, lighter X10, and get back a bit of speed into his relatively long limb/long axel/high brace height set-up.

Of course, doing this would take him well away from the shaft suggested by Easton's charts, and would probably take a lot of experimentation to find what worked best. We mere mortals couldn't afford the cost in wasted X10's, but I guess this isn't a problem for Dave.

Adam

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
FITA4fun said:
It's only a guess, but I suspect that by cutting from the back he can get away with using a slimmer, lighter X10, and get back a bit of speed into his relatively long limb/long axel/high brace height set-up.

Of course, doing this would take him well away from the shaft suggested by Easton's charts, and would probably take a lot of experimentation to find what worked best. We mere mortals couldn't afford the cost in wasted X10's, but I guess this isn't a problem for Dave.

Adam

Nope, he still uses 450's. Most of the top shooters are not even close to the chart when tuning x 10's. I dont know how many arrows he has gone through but he found out how to get the arrow to spine to get the best groups for him at all distances. I know my X10's are not shooting well at all right now cut from the front (as you can see from my scores the few competitons i have shot this summer). Hopefully I can get them tuned and shooting so I can come back out next summer and be competitive again. Its an ongoing battle trying to tune these things.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that Clint Freeman was cutting them up to 2" from the back to get them shoot straight!

Dave has always been shooting underspine from the chart. He has the same set-up has me but I just can't shoot the arrow spine he is using (60# @ 31").

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Personally I use 410's and am considering going to 380's. When I used Triples the 300's worked best for me (380 spine) at 60# 28". My wife gets best results from a 400 spine Triple from a 60# 26.5" bow. When she goes to X10's again on her compound we will have to cut from the back by the look of it because a 410 comes out too long.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Marcus said:
Personally I use 410's and am considering going to 380's. When I used Triples the 300's worked best for me (380 spine) at 60# 28". My wife gets best results from a 400 spine Triple from a 60# 26.5" bow. When she goes to X10's again on her compound we will have to cut from the back by the look of it because a 410 comes out too long.
I have lots of 380's for sale marcus

1 - 8 of 8 Posts