Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, excited to even post here in Archery Talk. Alway's wanted a bow and after 2 years of not taking a day off of work, I decided to treat myself and get a bow. Mind you, I know nothing of archery. I woke up super excited, and I know I should have at least researched anything about it.

Waiting outside bass pro to open, feeling like a kid again(will be 34 next year) at Christmas. Don't quite remember the last time I was this excited. Made myself to the hunting section. The salesman asked me if I needed help with anything, to which I replied "with everything please, kind sir" I told him I was a beginner archer and always wanted a bow. He quickly grabbed his keys and unlocked the bows. Asking "Will you be hunting?", "Whenever I feel comfortable I would love to", meaning I would be practicing as much as possible(minimum 10 hours a week at the range) for a year before I even attempt to go hunting. He said, "I know exactly what you need then". He brought me a bear Cruzer G2 RTH package set, Desperado Release, Protector compact bow heavy case(which I would much like to a different case, again I wouldn't know which will be better the heavy plastic or a soft case), X5 envy 340 1/4 arrows. At this point we never even discussed prices, I was just so excited!. Rings me up to $582.03(bow 424.00), I said "sure sir, I appreciate you taking the time and helping me".

As I write this(receipt in hand, contemplating now). Taking my measurements. (6ft tall) and measured my wingspan, asked my weight 228 at the time of purchase, cutting down now as I type this introduction. Told me, "let me set this up for you, come back in 30 minutes". I come back early to someone telling him how to set the bow(that didn't make me feel comfortable with the setup I was about to receive, again what do I know, it could be extremely difficult. The bow reads DL 26: PW 70: SL 55 11/16: BC 31 7/16: Asked me if that was comfortable?, struggled a little to draw the bow, never drawn a bow, using bicep to pull back, I started to question my health, strength, and livelihood at that moment, haha, more respect for archers was born. I said yes sir when I should have told him, "my man lower the power on this".

Right, when I was going to go to the range upstairs, I get a call from a client, packed my bow into the car, and had a grin no one could have taken away, I finally got my bow!!!
I told my cousin, "I got my bow!". He just started hunting with a rifle. At the end of the day I go to his house and show, he struggles a little drawback but places it "cool" he doesn't know how to draw a bow either, and all I'm thinking is my rotator cuff will snap off in a week of practice. I'm driving home, thinking how can I lower the power on this bow. He texts me, "yo your boy is trash, I just asked my friend and he says you should have got a Matthews at least, better yet get a rifle. I replied happily "F*CK OFF"... He friend does hunt and now I'm thinking did I make the right decision cause I always wanted a bow and be able to master it with time.

And that's the quest I will be going on. I'm honored to even be able to own a bow and more honored to learn from the pros here. I will use the search engine before any stupid question I might ask, please keep in mind I am new to this and think this is the coolest art form/ hobby. Since I stopped riding motorcycles. Been riding street bikes since I was 18. In 2019 I managed to get my dream bike 2008 MV Agusta F4 1000R. After losing a couple of buddies throughout the years and seeing the great drivers in Miami, FL. I decided, I finally achieve my dream of retiring my grandfather, he is all I have and it would pain me to watch him work, hence me working so much. I sold my Motorcycle, won't lie, it hurt. For almost a year after I sold it, I have been feeling lost, until I got my bow!!! AHHH

Sorry for the long read, ANY advice or tip everyone can shoot at me, I would happily hold the target.

My first stupid question? did I mess up already by getting this bow?? I looked into Matthew bows and they're pretty pricey, just like my motorcycle, I would have not got the 1000R for my first bike, as I've never shot a bow more than once, I'm not ready for a Matthews bow, I already know I want a new release!. I attempted to Lower the PW myself by doing so I know I ruined the whole setup, tomorrow I will be going to an Archery store called Ghost Strings to get it adjusted and configure to what I think is great for 1-2 hours a day practice session. as you can tell from my last picture I have no idea what I am doing. Is this really a **** bow? should I return it?

Thank you, everyone... I got my bow!!!

Comfort Automotive tire Wood Vehicle door Flooring

Automotive tire Light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle part Composite material Rim

Attachments

·
Slinging Arrows
1,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: ViceCityArcher

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Welcome. Most people will suggest having an actual archery shop get you set up. They will have people who can help get your draw length right, poundage right, etc. And even then they don't always get it set up just right for you.

Most (not all) big box store employees won't have the knowledge or time to really set you up well.

I would almost never recommend anyone start shooting at 70 pounds draw. I would read the manual and see how many turns to back it off to 50-60 and start there until you feel comfortable. Also watch some beginner archery form videos. John Dudley has some great free info in his Nock On YouTube series. Or better yet, get some lessons at a archery shop.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X, Mathews Vertix, Bear BR33
537 Posts
Great intro write up... I wish your journey would've started at that archery shop! If you would've started at that shop (if they're a decent shop) you would've received a much more knowledgeable and confidence building experience... Bear makes decent bows. What you got is considered a mid-priced bow. It's not terrible. I would keep the receipt and go to the archery shop explain to them your story let them set you up, you will likely return what you have... if you want to try other bows at that shop, Mathews makes great bows, but there are several awesome bow makers. If you shoot several of them you may feel drawn to something different than Mathews, let the bow choose you based on feel and the shooting experience (drawing it, holding on target, etc)... I have a Mathews, but prefer my Bowtech over it... if you aren't thinking to get something different than what you have then at least have the archery shop set up your Bear to/for you. They will know what they are doing with it and will get you shooting way better than the Bass Pro experience... if while they are setting you up they find it won't adjust to a comfortable draw weight then you're gonna need to return that bow and get something that is better for you... BTW, I ride motorcycles too and love your former motorcycle!.. my dream bike is a BMW S1000RR... someday!.. good luck!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The Cruzr G2 isn't a total **** bow, but it's designed for younger, smaller framed beginners like women and children. It has a huge range of weight and draw length adjustability which makes it fit a lot of people, but not as efficient.

Bear makes some much better bows around that price range that would probably fit you better. Most of the other brands beginner to mid price bows won't be too much more either. Hoyt Torrex XT, Elite Ember, PSE Drive NXT, Bear Paradox, etc.

Reactions: ViceCityArcher

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome. Most people will suggest having an actual archery shop get you set up. They will have people who can help get your draw length right, poundage right, etc. And even then they don't always get it set up just right for you.

Most (not all) big box store employees won't have the knowledge or time to really set you up well.

I would almost never recommend anyone start shooting at 70 pounds draw. I would read the manual and see how many turns to back it off to 50-60 and start there until you feel comfortable. Also watch some beginner archery form videos. John Dudley has some great free info in his Nock On YouTube series. Or better yet, get some lessons at a archery shop.

Good luck!
I didn't feel quite right when I got it, however, I did not want to talk bad about bass pro, not my style. I was a motorcycle mechanic for quite some time and everything I worked on, I put 100%, it was the customer's life and I wouldn't accept anything but perfection. Then again I assume they didn't think a bow should be perfect for the customer, especially one so eager to embark on this world. That's exactly what I should have done instead of being so excited. Now trying to find an archery store in Broward/Miami area. Oh, I'm going to be completely honest with you sir. I'm not ready for a 70-pound draw, doing it at home, my shoulder popped, fell off a motorcycle a couple of times in my day. Right away I told myself, this won't last at this rate, even the fact that it says it's a great bow for children and women didn't discourage me. I found out in www.seansoutdooradventures.com/ how the limb bolt has 12 turns and goes down 32 lbs of the draw. I must read, I know my life doesn't depend on the bow like a motorcycle or it could in a situation(dramatic sound). If I don't know, I'm not going to dabble, worse I could develop bad form from the beginning as well.

Thank you for the advice! and for the welcome.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great intro write up... I wish your journey would've started at that archery shop! If you would've started at that shop (if they're a decent shop) you would've received a much more knowledgeable and confidence building experience... Bear makes decent bows. What you got is considered a mid-priced bow. It's not terrible. I would keep the receipt and go to the archery shop explain to them your story let them set you up, you will likely return what you have... if you want to try other bows at that shop, Mathews makes great bows, but there are several awesome bow makers. If you shoot several of them you may feel drawn to something different than Mathews, let the bow choose you based on feel and the shooting experience (drawing it, holding on target, etc)... I have a Mathews, but prefer my Bowtech over it... if you aren't thinking to get something different than what you have then at least have the archery shop set up your Bear to/for you. They will know what they are doing with it and will get you shooting way better than the Bass Pro experience... if while they are setting you up they find it won't adjust to a comfortable draw weight then you're gonna need to return that bow and get something that is better for you... BTW, I ride motorcycles too and love your former motorcycle!.. my dream bike is a BMW S1000RR... someday!.. good luck!
Amazing how comfortable I feel already, Yea I have to see if I can find that shop, cause all around me they just have bass pro. I felt as if they just wanted the sale. 424 dollars for a brand new bow, I know it's not best but I should have bought a string and a proper release just to learn how to draw a bow. I also don't want to spend so much on a beginner bow, reading I could probably get a used bow for that price, I doubt it will be fully set like this package I bought, just the release I was looking at is well above $180. Maybe the wrist trigger will do just fine, I don't want to develop bad habits as this is going to be a way of life. My man, thank you so much for taking your time and giving me advice, I truly appreciate it. Thank you boss, I've waited since 96 to get it. After 24 years of waiting, I found her outside of Pittsburgh, rented a Uhaul, and drove 16 hours to get her home safely. luckily I was able to rebuild the motor myself, a poor man, trying to daily a Ferrari. Miami traffic is not where it's at, once I move ill get another, maybe a state with curvy roads. You got great taste, that day will come sooner than you think
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

. Rubber side down my friend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Cruzr G2 isn't a total **** bow, but it's designed for younger, smaller framed beginners like women and children. It has a huge range of weight and draw length adjustability which makes it fit a lot of people, but not as efficient.

Bear makes some much better bows around that price range that would probably fit you better. Most of the other brands beginner to mid price bows won't be too much more either. Hoyt Torrex XT, Elite Ember, PSE Drive NXT, Bear Paradox, etc.
I may just be going back to bass pro and returning it. I know bows are quite expensive, hopefully, I do find a proper archery shop and could maybe buy a used bow to have money to buy everything I need to make it ready to practice. My journey should have started here. I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Amazing how comfortable I feel already, Yea I have to see if I can find that shop, cause all around me they just have bass pro. I felt as if they just wanted the sale. 424 dollars for a brand new bow, I know it's not best but I should have bought a string and a proper release just to learn how to draw a bow. I also don't want to spend so much on a beginner bow, reading I could probably get a used bow for that price, I doubt it will be fully set like this package I bought, just the release I was looking at is well above $180. Maybe the wrist trigger will do just fine, I don't want to develop bad habits as this is going to be a way of life. My man, thank you so much for taking your time and giving me advice, I truly appreciate it. Thank you boss, I've waited since 96 to get it. After 24 years of waiting, I found her outside of Pittsburgh, rented a Uhaul, and drove 16 hours to get her home safely. luckily I was able to rebuild the motor myself, a poor man, trying to daily a Ferrari. Miami traffic is not where it's at, once I move ill get another, maybe a state with curvy roads. You got great taste, that day will come sooner than you think View attachment 7507848
View attachment 7507847
View attachment 7507845
View attachment 7507844
. Rubber side down my friend.
Incredible work on that motorcycle!.. you will very likely find that archery is a great hobbie/sport for you, someone that enjoys to tinker and work on things. As you get into archery you'll find you are always tinkering with your bow, your accessories, your shooting form, your release, etc!.. always chasing that perfect repeatable accuracy/shot!.. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as me and many others have!.. that Cruzer G2 isnt terrible, but is definitely entry level. Could be good to learn on, but you may want to upgrade soon if you get into archery. I hope you can get some expert advice on getting it setup correctly to you. As you mentioned, to learn correct habits out of the gate. Sean's outdoor adventure is a great teacher and resource... he won't lead you astray... all the best to you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Incredible work on that motorcycle!.. you will very likely find that archery is a great hobbie/sport for you, someone that enjoys to tinker and work on things. As you get into archery you'll find you are always tinkering with your bow, your accessories, your shooting form, your release, etc!.. always chasing that perfect repeatable accuracy/shot!.. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as me and many others have!.. that Cruzer G2 isnt terrible, but is definitely entry level. Could be good to learn on, but you may want to upgrade soon if you get into archery. I hope you can get some expert advice on getting it setup correctly to you. As you mentioned, to learn correct habits out of the gate. Sean's outdoor adventure is a great teacher and resource... he won't lead you astray... all the best to you!
Oh I'm in too deep now. Can't wait to fully experience and know how everything works, one day I would love to be able to set up my own bow, with time with time. This place is great, I feel part of a family already. A local Archer, even offered to help me set it up. he was shocked how they have me at a 26 DL saying I should be a 29, I'm truly grateful. I know I have a lot to learn, if you ever need anything, i'm here for you brother. I appreciate you looking out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Getting setup correctly to begin is critical. Whether at an archery shop or with a local archer that knows his stuff, either will work... Sean's outdoor and John Dudley's "school of nock" are excellent YouTube resources. School of nock will take you through correct archery form/principles step by step. Dudley is an excellent teacher with an effective approach. Give it a look... be patient with yourself, success doesn't come overnight, but it's a fun journey!.. enjoy it!..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Getting setup correctly to begin is critical. Whether at an archery shop or with a local archer that knows his stuff, either will work... Sean's outdoor and John Dudley's "school of nock" are excellent YouTube resources. School of nock will take you through correct archery form/principles step by step. Dudley is an excellent teacher with an effective approach. Give it a look... be patient with yourself, success doesn't come overnight, but it's a fun journey!.. enjoy it!..
Nothing great comes easy and so far this is beyond difficult. This makes riding a motorcycle a breeze. Though once in the moment they do share similar characteristics. The level of focus. And how it makes you forget about everyday life. No room for errors, I’m sure you know. I’m on my way to return the bow, case and release. I’m so excited! I should have picked up a bow years ago. First I need to find a decent shop. I will definitely be looking them up, that’s how I noticed the release off Dudley channel. I can’t be breaking the bank either. If you know a books too. Everyone is so helpful. And thank you for the welcome.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you've made the same mistake I usually make when I get into something new and let excitement take over. Not too much to say that others haven't said already. I wish you the best at getting a better setup. Once you get a bow set up for you, there are threads on here dedicated to form correction. The threads have guidelines as far as pose and all that. I would recommend that be one of the next steps for sure.

1. get a bow fit to you (current bow or different one)
2. watch some YouTube on form and "how to"
3. submit pics to one of the form threads here and be open to the criticism
4. take over the world

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome! Sounds like you've made the same mistake I usually make when I get into something new and let excitement take over. Not too much to say that others haven't said already. I wish you the best at getting a better setup. Once you get a bow set up for you, there are threads on here dedicated to form correction. The threads have guidelines as far as pose and all that. I would recommend that be one of the next steps for sure.

1. get a bow fit to you (current bow or different one)
2. watch some YouTube on form and "how to"
3. submit pics to one of the form threads here and be open to the criticism
4. take over the world
I’m actually in the parking lot of bass pro to return it. I looked up archery shops. I got one in west palm(1h:30m) away. Spoke to the gentleman that owns the place(pathfinder Archery supply) told him my story and said he will take care of me to return the bow. However he is booked until the first. Have another place(blessed archery) Though they open 3 hours a day(4-7pm), great reviews too. And that one is 40 minutes from the house. Or another one 3 hours away. I know this can’t be rushed but argh. I’m researching, doing it smart this time. Thank you so much, I’ll definitely do so.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Forgot to add not to be afraid to try a recurve bow out too. Much more simple and 100% not just for beginners and kids. Also much easier to tune yourself. I personally went the compound route because I was in my 20's and wanted to shoot a helicopter with an exploding arrow like Rambo. Having shot a few recurves within the last few months, they are just as if not more fulfilling to shoot. Totally bare bow no sights or anything and hitting paper at 10 yards had me feeling much more accomplished than my compound with sights and stuff hitting a X at 30 yards. If I'm saying anything, try everything you can before purchasing your real first bow. You may be an Olympic level bare recurve shooter in the making, or you may find you enjoy all the new tech with range finding sights some of the crazy arrow rests out there. I landed at compound bow specifically designed to shoot with fingers because I like it more than using a release aid. I have spent days just looking at arrow rests and learning all I can about all the different styles. It is very much an addiction. Can't wait to read about where you end up landing with your first bow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forgot to add not to be afraid to try a recurve bow out too. Much more simple and 100% not just for beginners and kids. Also much easier to tune yourself. I personally went the compound route because I was in my 20's and wanted to shoot a helicopter with an exploding arrow like Rambo. Having shot a few recurves within the last few months, they are just as if not more fulfilling to shoot. Totally bare bow no sights or anything and hitting paper at 10 yards had me feeling much more accomplished than my compound with sights and stuff hitting a X at 30 yards. If I'm saying anything, try everything you can before purchasing your real first bow. You may be an Olympic level bare recurve shooter in the making, or you may find you enjoy all the new tech with range finding sights some of the crazy arrow rests out there. I landed at compound bow specifically designed to shoot with fingers because I like it more than using a release aid. I have spent days just looking at arrow rests and learning all I can about all the different styles. It is very much an addiction. Can't wait to read about where you end up landing with your first bow.
Facial expression Vertebrate Cartoon Mammal Art

It's as if you're in my mind!.
Truthfully that's what I pictured me shooting a bow in my head, with a recurved one. Can't beat that design, a work of art. Hahahaha "shoot a helicopter with an exploding arrow like Rambo" haha sir I do not blame you on that. When I went to bass pro, I kept looking at one, an all black one. I picked it up and when the salesman asked me what I was looking for, he smirked and said put that down. Thinking this guy must think "who is this arsehat with a recurved bow" I didn't even get to draw it back. Great customer service, making me feel as if I couldn't even look at that. So I went with what he told me after I told him I would like to hunt in the future. After the measurements, when I got to pull the 70lbs with a release, no way my fingers were going to be able to pull back that recurved bow. Moi an olympic level bare recurve shooter...hmmm I can see that. I like your style. You don't use a release, whats is your draw at? damn thats pretty Rambo like ish, if you ask me.

Gesture Dress shirt Eyelash Thumb Font

I Don't even own a bow anymore.... look away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You don't use a release, whats is your draw at? damn thats pretty Rambo like ish, if you ask me.
Currently at 50lbs draw with my brand new bow. It tops out at 58lbs draw but I don't plan on moving up for a long while. 50 is comfy but by no means "mastered" or boring. A nice leather glove or finger "glove" helps a ton too. I like the extra challenge of shooting fingers and I equate it to a manual vs automatic transmission in a car. Also the shop I shoot at weekly with my group are dead set on release aids so I also maintain shooting fingers to spite them...only a little though. Long term goal is to challenge one of them to a match and beat them using fingers vs their release. I'm mostly dialed in with my old bow and I'm super excited to embark on a new journey with my new one. Here's my new target bow from Archery Republic. Can't speak highly enough about Jeremy and his product. This thing is almost 10lbs after my sight and other goodies installed. Beast of a bow! My shoulders are going to look soooo good in a month or 2 haha!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
welcome to AT

1 - 20 of 48 Posts