Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets hear what everyone is taking into the woods this season in fanny packs or day packs. I am getting ready for my first year hunting and don't want to overlook anything.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
pack items

Hey Brew,
These are the things that I take in to the woods I only carry a fanny pack:
Rope to pull up bow(if using tree stand)
Scents (cover, Doe pee etc.)
Rattling horns(during the rut)
Knife
Deer call

I try to pack as light as possible especially if you have to walk a long ways to your stand.

Do you check pms??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trial run

I loaded my pack that I carry elk hunting this morning so I could begin practicing and working out with it on . I include rain gear , water in a bladder , gerber saw with linb blade and bone blade spare flashlight , knife sharpener , extra knife ,rope, a few survival items , food , Montana decoy , GPS ( RINO has GPS and radio) .

This is a lot more than I carry whitetail hunting . I am usually just going over the hill of a farm so I just take food, water , knife , rope maybe some scents and rain gear. I like to have radio's because I hunt with my son who is young and my father in law who is 73 . It gives us all a piece of mind.

DGS

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Here is what I carry with me....

knife
ratcheting pruners
small saw
deer scent
cover scent
small pair binocs
safety belt
field dressing gloves
flashlight, spare batteries
camera
drag rope
toilet paper (for marking blood trails-i'm not a woods
pooper,unless it's an emergency:D )
grunt call
and glucose tablets (i'm a diabetic)
energy bars (if i'm huntin all day)

JP

·
Registered
275 Posts
I build my pack around survival items.
1-butane flameless lighter;
2-water proof matches;
3-magnezium fire starter with striker;
4-signal mirror;
5-candle;
6-space blanket;
7-saw;
8-leatherman;
9-survival whistle.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Couple different knives so you have a sharp one

Electrical tape, multi purpose but also very good for marking a blood trail, just remove when you are done.

Plenty of water and also have a couple gallon jugs in the truck.

Flashlight and plenty of batteries.

Latern in the truck so if it gets dark you have light for field dressing or finding your way back

GPS

your cover scents

Snacks

Cell Phone

Rope

Alot of the stuff can be left in the truck for later use if needed, it is better to have more than you need than not enough or not at all...You can carry light in a fanny pack but take the basics for survival as mentioned in some of the previouse posts.... Also you might want to take some sandwich making items for if you arrow a deer and take the time you can go back to your vehicle make some lunch read a book or magazine while you wait...

Also don't forget the CAMERA so you can post your trophy rite here on AT...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had to learn what poisen oak looks like the hard way, went outdoors while hunting, but I discovered that resin from the poisen transfered from my hands to my , yah that too, and man did that itch for days, and all of that when i didnt even think I had touched any plants. How do you explain that to your wife when you said you were gone huntin all weekend!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Depends on length of stalk

It depends if I'm going all day or coming back to camp at lunch etc.
If I leave before first light then I defintely take my number one item in quantity and that's water. For a full day I wear a HydraStorm hydration system. In my Vista fanny with shoulder straps I carry alot of the stuff similiar to what the others are carrying. You know a couple of knives, snacks, surveyors tape (bright color), magnesium and flint stick, first aid kit, some strong line, compass if I go deep off the trail, knife sharpners, spare bow string, small powerfull flashlight, water tablets and plenty of TP yes I am one of those guys that will lay 2foot grocery snake if need be (sorry for the TMI)!:D
Mind you this may seem like alot but when I head out walking about 04am I uasually don't get back before nightfall unless I'm hauling some game back. Mind you this is mainly my deer set up, wapiti well that's a different game plan.
Have fun
Out for now

·
Registered
7 Posts
Space blanket
First Aid Kit
Medications
Ace bandage
Food/water for the day
Compass
Wistle (worn on shirt) and one in pack
Knife
Saw
Matches
Pull rope
Full safety harnes (Worn)
Set of allen wrenches. Just in case something slips on bow.
Flash light with extra batts.
Calls
Scents
Cell phone (Off)
TP in case I am so moved :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
1. sharp knife
2. cover scents
3. rope to pull up my bow
4. compass
5. gps
6. water bottle
7. orange flaging tape
8. flashlight
9. cell phone
10. safety belt
11.first aid kit
12. extra batteries

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses. Just trying to build my pack but I am one for overkill. Just to give an idea I have in my pack 2 compasses(1 good & 1 cheap one)as well as GPS,3 lighters, 3 types of fire starters. And 2 flashlights with another velcroed to my bow. I trust nothing.

PS Mossy I haven't checked my PM's ever. I'll do it hopefully today.
Also we are having a 3D shoot Sat. amd Sun. at Fox Harbor starts at 7am.

·
When's bow season start?
8,864 Posts
Too Much %#%&$#@

I used to take everything but the kitchen sink, but I got tired of rooting through the backpack just to retreive the same stuff every time. Here's what I bring:

small first aid kit
medium and small knives
sharpening stone
rope
calls and scents
two screw-in holders (for binocs or rangefinders)
compass
flashlight
water
dry snacks
TOILET PAPER
Purel (for disinfecting after field dressing and...well, after using the TP!)
Twine for attaching tags
Pencil to fill out tags

Everything else I leave in the truck (dry clothes and socks, extra footwear, etc.).

Less is more!

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts