Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Complaceny Breeds Failure
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has ever participated in the Five Rivers MetroParks controlled bowhunting program in Dayton, OH?

It really seems like a great opportunity. I did get drawn for this January at the Shiloh Woods Conservation area. I went through all the testing and seminars and it seems like a very good, controlled program. Very rule intensive.

I have zero knowledge about the area and I can't even step foot on it to scout until January 4th, 2011.

Just looking for anyone that has participated in this program.

Curious about your experiences.

Thanks!

-NSTRUT

4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There has to be someone else on here that has been drawn for this hunt or at least has some familiarity with the area and may have some input.

It's not a huge program, but I know it's a good one.

· Registered
81 Posts
I participated for the last three years, and hunted the area you mentioned three years ago and harvested a deer there. I live close to that area so if ya need help with anything send me a pm. and i'll give ya my number. Roland.

· Registered
315 Posts
Would either of you mind sharing some info on these hunts? I heard about some metro park hunts and didn't even bother trying to get on since it's my first year with a bow. I would be curious to know how the whole process works. Who do you contact? How do you know if you're drawn, and what's the testing & seminar schedule like?

Thanks for sharing.

4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I participated for the last three years, and hunted the area you mentioned three years ago and harvested a deer there. I live close to that area so if ya need help with anything send me a pm. and i'll give ya my number. Roland.
Roland,

Thanks a million! I could really use some help with the area in general. I'll be sending you a PM. Thanks!

DUGuy,

PM sent.

· Registered
155 Posts
i hunted the upper twin a area in october. the doe i shoot walked across the boundry and i had the parks rangers help to get permission from the neighboring land owner and tracking. they also helped me get it back to the car and load it. the park ranger sargent even went to the staion to get me some trash bags to line the trunk. hands down i give the whole program 2 thumbs up.

you have to signup in july/aug on the metroparks site and give a $5 donation. i talked to several people that were alternates or never been picked for a couple of years. if you harvest a deer it will give you preferrence points for the following year. i got lucky, i was not picked first round and got in as an alternate. there were 750 hunters that signed up this year and 675 passed all of the req's. you have to pass a shooting test - at least 4 arrows in a specific target at 20 yrds. it also has to be signed by a range officer. then bring it to orientation.

this program is designed to be a population control. saftey is their next biggest issue. you have to harvest a doe first. all state laws apply. you are allowed to bait because it is private land owned by uncle sam. they have had some issues with peta stuff too.

from what they said about shiloh - it seems to be they only area with theft problems (stands etc disappearing)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.