Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinkin about givin the E3 Dead Down Wind products a try this season and wanted to try and get some quick opinions on it and/or other brands available. I don't get too carried away but do like to at least use a laundry detergent and field spray. What do yall think? Thanks

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use the detergent and spray. Not sure how well it works but my first year using it I got to within 7 yards or so of 4 elk. I'm still not sure how well it works though.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i use it. its the only scent elim. stuff ive used that has no smell at all when i use it. not saying that the deer might not smell it, but i like it

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I use the deoderant, body wash/ shampoo, laundry detergent and dry sheets. Got a deal on it as a package... the only reason I bought it. If something else would have been a better deal I would have got that... I suggest you do the same since they all help prevent human odor to some degree.
I like everything but the body wash/ shampoo. It is too runny and not concentrated enough.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've been using the products since 2005. Not sure how much better they are than the rest, but I've had good luck with them and will stick with DDW this year as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use the field spray, bar soap, shampoo and dryer sheets and have the same positive results with these products as I have had with Primos and Scent Shield. I would give them a try.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't think you'll see much of a difference from the cheaper stuff. How would you know? If it works, it works. No way to tell in the test data if it works better than the standard scent away, so hard to justify paying more.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
Was thinkin about givin the E3 Dead Down Wind products a try this season and wanted to try and get some quick opinions on it and/or other brands available. I don't get too carried away but do like to at least use a laundry detergent and field spray. What do yall think? Thanks
I don't think you'll see much of a difference from the cheaper stuff. How would you know? If it works, it works. No way to tell in the test data if it works better than the standard scent away, so hard to justify paying more.
Here is a link to a good UN_BIASED an scientific based testing .. A great read an very informative

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/research/the-best-way-to-inhibit-your-scent

·
Registered
416 Posts
This is my personal review. Last elk season I hunted with a party of four. All four of us had different product from the top name manufacturers. First test was four elk urine wafers. DDW E3 dominated. Next test was washing my hands in gasoline. DDW E3 dominated. Needless to say that I am using it this year. I do not go crazy with being scent free but do use laundry detergent and field spray.

·
Shaaaaazam!!
7,703 Posts
I also want to add my personal method is
A= Keep all gear free of FOREIGN odors(bacon,gasoline etc)
B=I shower with scent away soap(green stuff).I Ru REAL hot water while scrubbing to open my skin pores(odor hides there),..Then i rinse with cold(close the clean skin pores up)
C_..I wash all my clothes in Sport-wash(my preference an I like the cost).An I hang them up to dry them.I also wash my towel,washcloth,an clothes i plan to wear on my drive to my hunting spot with the same stuff.
D=I use Arm&hammer un-scented Antiperspirant all year in an out of season(cheap an wayyyy cheaper then similar products marketed toward hunters same stuff inside)
E=I dress after I get to my hunting spot..
F=I use the homemade HUman scent suppression spray listed in the link above..Sometimes in early season I will use one of the commercially available sprays that did a bit better with B.O..Due to the fact I sweat more early season..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used their products for the past two years and really can't complain about them. I have had deer come within 5 yards of me while ground hunting and they never scented me. I cannot definitely say if there is something better out there, but DDW works fine for me.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I used the hand wipes. Going out after work I will wipe my whole body down with them. I also use the spray but I really like the wipes, they are handy as heck. I took scent control a lot more serious last season and I think it helped. I saw more deer than I used to.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I like and use the DDW products BUT I also go to the aquarium department at Wally-world and get a container of carbon that is used in fish tank filters. I put it in the blender with distilled water and put that in a 5 gal bucket. Dip my clothes in it, wring them out by hand and let them dry on the line and they are good for a week or so then I wash if needed or just dunk again. Works great for clothing.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I had 5 doe come in from over 200 yards dead down wind (no pun intended) of me the whole time and end up 20 yards in front of me for a perfect shot on the biggest doe of the bunch. I have had better luck with Dead Down Wind than Scentaway, Scent Killer, and a few other popular ones (field spray). I do like the Scentaway soap (green bar) and deodorant (it is 20% of aluminum whatever and most others are 15-17 %).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts