Archery Talk Forum banner

Death by Caribou

972 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  mike hogan
Killed a big doe last night. Called her in for an easy 8 yard shot and she dropped within sight!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
congrats! I`m gonna try mine out this weekend for the first hunt of the year.what did you use for a call?
I use a True Talker and make very light contact grunts 2-3 times per hour. The key to calling deer in Michigan is to be very conservative with the calling. I sent a guy a PM a while ago with my technique and I'll try to dig it up and post it.

Sorry about the lack of pictures. It was dark before I got her home and due to the warm temperatures I had to get her skinned and in a mesh bag ASAP.

Good luck everyone!

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Sounds like a good hunt ive called in several deer here in NY and its a blast. Called a small buck in shot and missed him and called in him again but no shot! Looking foreword to reading your calling techniques I love to call and also use the True Talker really a great call.

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is my whitetail calling technique:

I hunt primarily in Michigan on both private and public land where the buck/doe ratio is definitely not balanced and the deer are pushed very hard. A good friend showed me this technique several years ago after I lipped off to him that deer calls were a “joke”.

The basic technique for the HS True Talker call that he taught me is as follows:

Adjust the internal reed in the call to be a “young buck” and keep you fingers off the rubber band frets when calling. The video that comes with the call shows you how many calls that take advantage of these frets. In my opinion many of these advanced calls do not apply to Michigan due to our Buck/Doe imbalance and the rarity of mature bucks. Additionally, I like to keep it simple and low key.

When hunting, I call blindly every 20-30 minutes as follows:
1) soft short grunt
2) slowly count to 5
3) another soft short grunt
4) put it away

I have killed several deer over the last few seasons that came in within 5 minutes of making this call. I believe they are curious that another deer may be in the area and are investigating. Therefore you have to be sitting still and be alert since they can usually pin point a call to within 20 yards for a close shot.

If I see a deer in the distance:
1) soft short grunt
2) slowly count to 5
3) another soft short grunt
4) put it away

If the deer you are calling to stops, looks your direction or moves it ears put the call away. It has heard you and knows exactly where you are and will generally get very spooked if you keep calling. At this point it already knows if it is going to investigate or not (even if it mills around for a while first).

I have called in many deer (buck & does) the last several seasons using these techniques. I’m by no means an expert, but this simple technique works well in my area. I’m sure about any call will work as long as it can make a non threatening soft grunt.

If anyone else has another strategy for whitetails please post it so we can discuss. Hope this helps.

· Registered
378 Posts
That is almost the exact sequence I use. I have had it work many times. Shot a nice young buck on Sunday when he came in to investigate. It was about 6-7 minutes after calling. Nice to know it works for you too. I was also using the true talker call.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Good post. On my True Talker if I put it on Young Buck it sounds kinda like a doe bleat so I just leave it at Mature Buck. I used it last year when I killed a young 3 point. My technique that I use is I grunt in every direction as in front back and both sides. Sometimes ill grunt once in every direction or if conditions are good like on my hunt I grunt a few more times when I really feel a buck could hear it and come in. Well, it worked last year the buck came after 5 minutes and walked up to 10 yards when I ruined his day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.