Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always here the pros talking about learning your bows trajectory and so on and so forth, and I have heard guys on here and TV saying how at 3 yards they have to use their 30 yard pin, 20 yard pin, etc.

So, today, I decided it was my turn to join this club and I got very intimate with my bow. I started at 1 yard and walked back to 40 yards in one yard incriments.I have never practiced any closer than 10 yards, so this up close and personal thing was weird for me lol.

At any rate, this was the best thing I have ever done. I knew my one pin was good from 10-40 yards with the appropriate hold over and what not, but I now know EXACTLY where my arrow is impacting.

I know this isn't anything revolutionary by any means and even though I knew the arrow dropped coming off the string before it rose in it's trajectory, my tendency at close range shots was to aim low, which actually explains why I hit a MONSTER of a buck lower than I wanted to 2 years ago :cry:

Now, because of this wonderful website and all of the useful tips and tidbits I have picked up from you guys, I'll never make that same mistake again :wink:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You would be surprised at the dumbfounded looks I've gotten from some of my friends, when I try to tell them to use their 40 yard pin inside 4 yards. They all think that I'm nuts untill they see for themselves. One of the lessons taught to me from shooting competively for a number of years. It seems a lot of guys think you need to aim lower inside of 20 and then can't explain it to themselves why they miss or have a really low non fatal hit on an animal. Definately the way you went about it at 1 yard increments was a great learning tool that most individuals won't try or put the time into. Good for you.:)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
At 5 yards 20' up in a tree, I believe you should use your 10 yard pin. The reason you use the 30 yard pin at close distance is because the sight axis is above the axis of the arrow. The arrow hitting poa at 10 yards is due to the convegence of the two, not from any appreciable effect from gravity negating the actual "ballistic" yardage in this case. Maybe I'm missing out on an inside joke, but having done pretty much the same exercise, I know I get the same results, but can hit a pop cap bout every time shooting pretty much straight down using my top pin when shooting from my stand, but also use the 30yd pin at the same distance when shooting from the ground. YMMV.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok, well the funny part is that 5 yards is 15', and you're 20' up in a tree. So you'd have to dangle by your ankles and shoot straight down to turn it into a 5 yard shot. :wink:

·
Registered
529 Posts
WHAT??????? Guess I don't get what you are driving at NSB.

5 yds. is 5 yds. Makes no difference if it is up, down, or level. The 5 yard horozontal plain to the target is still 5 yards. Shoot it up side down and backwards if you want to. But that still doesn't change the fact that the target is still 5 yards away. Aim accordinly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
>>>---WW----> said:
WHAT??????? Guess I don't get what you are driving at NSB.

5 yds. is 5 yds. Makes no difference if it is up, down, or level. The 5 yard horozontal plain to the target is still 5 yards. Shoot it up side down and backwards if you want to. But that still doesn't change the fact that the target is still 5 yards away. Aim accordinly.
If you are shooting at that steep of an angle it can change your yardage tremedously.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hear what you're saying, but the way it was stated, it was a non-existent scenario. It couldn't be a 5 yard shot because the stand is almost 7 yards up. So to split hairs, it's gonna be about an 8 1/2 yards shot.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
BowtechArch said:
Here's one for you:

....where do you aim on a 5 yard shot when you are 20' up in a tree.

I use the same pin, only got one, and it swings like a pendulum do.. :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
NSB....that is far from a non-existent scenario. It doesn't matter how far up the tree you are, the only distance that matters in this shot is the horizontal distance between the tree you're in and the target.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For ballistic purposes, sure an up or down shot will have the trajectory of a shorter shot. But it doesn't change the actual distance to target. That's what struck me as funny, cuz if the arrow stopped after traveling 5 yards...

Nevermind.

So if you leaned over a 120' cliff and shot a deer that was at the bottom, you'd say you killed it at 40 yards or 1 yard?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I think for a majority of whitetail hunters, a 5 yard shot is more likely than a 40 yard shot, yet nobody ever practices the 5 yard shot.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
NSB said:
For ballistic purposes, sure an up or down shot will have the trajectory of a shorter shot. But it doesn't change the actual distance to target. That's what struck me as funny, cuz if the arrow stopped after traveling 5 yards...

Nevermind.

So if you leaned over a 120' cliff and shot a deer that was at the bottom, you'd say you killed it at 40 yards or 1 yard?
It seems that the jist of this conversation is a bit different than what you're getting at. If you shot your 120' cliff deer, would you use your 40 yd. pin? :wink:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
millstonesuper said:
You would be surprised at the dumbfounded looks I've gotten from some of my friends, when I try to tell them to use their 40 yard pin inside 4 yards. They all think that I'm nuts untill they see for themselves. One of the lessons taught to me from shooting competively for a number of years. It seems a lot of guys think you need to aim lower inside of 20 and then can't explain it to themselves why they miss or have a really low non fatal hit on an animal. Definately the way you went about it at 1 yard increments was a great learning tool that most individuals won't try or put the time into. Good for you.:)
its not always the 40 yard pin the one you should use for close shots. you need to experiment and practice that by yourself.

myself, i need to use my 65 yard mark for 4 yard shots. it varies with every setup and person.

good luck!!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
=-)

everybody's "short range" pin may be different!...things that play a factor in this besides the arrow trajectory, height, and slope are also peep height from the arrow at full draw and distance of peep from the sight at full draw too!...gotta play with it to see what you got to do!...if you are just guessing at this and have never tried it you may be suprised!

Pat

·
Registered
838 Posts
ever hear about bending at the waist ??

1 - 20 of 36 Posts