Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After weeks of saying I was going to do it, I finally took the time and put a stand 20ft up in the yard and shot. This was one of those 5 3/4 lb windwalker stands by Loc-on. Now I am about 5'6" and #155 so not a big guy, but wow was this thing little...LOL. It was a WHOLE new world shooting out of that stand as opposed to pounding paper in the yard on the ground standing there.

I have been hunting for YEARS, but a note to all new hunters, try practicing out of your stand, it will be time well spent.

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
yup i always encourage practicing shooting out of stand it makes it a whole lot different.

·
Born yank raised south
16,749 Posts
Me and the son were shooting in the rain yesterday out of our climbers in the back yard. We always shoot out of our stands the last two weeks before hunting season starts. Well I can see that the windwalker is a little too small for me to use I am 6 ft 220 lbs.

·
Waiting on Season
14,905 Posts
Me and the son were shooting in the rain yesterday out of our climbers in the back yard. We always shoot out of our stands the last two weeks before hunting season starts. Well I can see that the windwalker is a little too small for me to use I am 6 ft 220 lbs.
lol its way small for me 6'6" 350lbs

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have one in my backyard.... the neighbors just laugh and shake their head especially the times that i dress in camo from head to toe. lol

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Wow, you'll never see me in something like that. No wonder people fall all the time or can't sit long.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Good practice for sure.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
And loc-on's are some of the best stands ever made small but very versatile. I will buy it if you dont like it.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I make it a point to put at least a month of practice in whatever stand I plan to hunt out of( treestand or groundblind) to know how I shoot under most conditions

·
Back down to ground level
16,099 Posts
Loved my windwalker. Had one before loc-on bought out the original company(Lake maybe?). Could walk all day with it on my back and set up quickly in the tightest trees. Somebody stole it.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I do all my shooting from an elavated position, since i dont hunt from the ground. i start on the back deck and shoot down hill so im at least 20-25ft above the targets then i move to a ladder stand off the yard. And before season I go to a 22ft lock on behind my dads were we have several 3-d deer set up in the woods from 8-44yds and force ourselves to shoot the tough shots over and under branches, behind the tree, and sitting as well as standing.. that really shows you want your effective hunting range is over shooting a red circle in the backyard.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
20' in the air on a little stand- Where is your safety harness?!
I have a safety belt on. you can just see it wrapped around the tree. Trust me man, I shot some standing up and I wouldn't be without it. The tree had just a little lean to it and you felt every inch of it. I have old loggy that weighs not much more and its waaaaaaay bigger. I feel a little more comfortable one that platform.

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
Practiced long and hard this wekend out of my tree saddle. Regularly shoot from an elevated platform at my club but nothing beats the real deal.
IMG00418.jpg

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
Also had some does walk in while I was practicing. Just sat and watched.
IMG00420.jpg
IMG00422.jpg
IMG00423.jpg

·
Mark
5,425 Posts
i noticed the extra small stand before i even read your post and man it's tiny. I would have a hard time getting comfortable enough to shoot a bow standing on that. I have 30" x 34" strap-on with flip up seat and love it once it's up. Nice to spread those feet a bit when standing, twisting and turning as those dang deer don't even know how to stay on trails!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts