Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am seeking advice on choosing a new sight for my bow. Currently I have an older fixed TruGlow 5 pin .19 that I have really liked but I probably don't know what I am missing.

Based on where I hunt, 5 pins might be too much. I think I would like to avoid single pin sights because I don't want to worry about adjusting what range my pin is calibrated for when the time comes. So for now, I *think* my interest is in 3-5 pin sights and I definitely know I will want to get down to .10 pins. I like the idea of being able to adjust my sights but being stuck with one pin sounds like I am asking for problems in a real hunting situation.

I have heard good things about a dovetail sight, I am leaning towards a dovetail but I haven't really had a chance to speak with experts to hear their analysis. So, I am interested in sight recommendations, or links to quality analysis. Unfortunately most google search results are affiliate marketers that just link products and actually know nothing.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know you don’t like single pin sights but I have an HHA cadet single pin. I have it 2 inches low at 30 yards and that is my maximum distance for hunting. I don’t shoot 3D. I just shoot a lot in my yard. I really enjoy the lack of pin clutter in a hunting situation. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,242 Posts
Try the MBG 3 pin, 2 fixed and one slider...set the first 2 at 20-30, and the slider you can use to infinite, well almost

·
Registered
680 Posts
If price isn't an issue, I have a Spott Hogg Hunter. You can make all the axis adjustments easily and it has micro adjust pins. pins are available in .029, .019 and .010. I have them on 2 of my bows and love them.They also have the outside rings you can replace so you can fine tune the sight to your peep.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Take a look at the spot Hogg fast Eddie XL. Very good sights and easy to work with. I’m also a big trophy ridge react series fan. I have a react 5 pro and it’s a dream to set up. Literally takes 5 minutes

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have a custom black gold revenge with a 4 inch dovetail. It has the 2 inch housing and 4 pins. All green, first two are 0.19 and then 0.10,0.10. I also have a single pin ascent whitetail that I really like. Look into black gold. You can pretty much build whatever sight you want. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Impartial Archer
18,273 Posts
I know you don’t like single pin sights but I have an HHA cadet single pin. I have it 2 inches low at 30 yards and that is my maximum distance for hunting. I don’t shoot 3D. I just shoot a lot in my yard. I really enjoy the lack of pin clutter in a hunting situation. Just my 2 cents
That's great for you but you don't know how fast the OP's bow is.....that could vary a LOT.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,273 Posts
OP I think people go off the rails when it comes to sights. They are just tools and you need to look at them that way and ask yourself what you are looking for.

Light weight
pin sizes
knobs for adjustments (which add to the weight & price & imo clutter)
Allen adjustments that take more time to sight in (but reduce weight and are less likely to move)
How bright
Will it accept a sight light
Does it have a level (and is it a good size and in a good place)
etc etc

IMHO for a hunting sight you don't need a dovetail sight it's more for target. Also many dovetail sights will have slight changes in POI if you take them on and off and it's overkill for a hunting sight IMO.

There are people here that think the more you pay the better the sight and that's simply not true. The more you know about what features you want (or need) and match them to you purpose is what makes a great sight.......not the $$$.

The problem is we all don't want or need the same thing.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I recently purchased a trophy ridge cypher 5. It’s light quiet easily adjustable and pins are bright. Has a light if you choose to use it but I don’t think I will need it because of how Britt the pins are right at dusk. I think I could see the pins and not the animal. It’s also offered in a 3 pin model. And it wasn’t very expensive. I paid 48.00 for a new camo version off eBay. For a no frills hunting sight I think this was a good choice for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
DeadQuiet's post is spot on. I would make a pro and con sheet of multiple sights. I suggest when getting a new sight that you buy new so that you are certain to get all the hardware, sight tapes, instructions, etc.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I also agree with DeadQuiet.

I would get purchase a 4 pin sight and keep the extra pin as a backup

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OP I think people go off the rails when it comes to sights. They are just tools and you need to look at them that way and ask yourself what you are looking for.

Light weight
pin sizes
knobs for adjustments (which add to the weight & price & imo clutter)
Allen adjustments that take more time to sight in (but reduce weight and are less likely to move)
How bright
Will it accept a sight light
Does it have a level (and is it a good size and in a good place)
etc etc

IMHO for a hunting sight you don't need a dovetail sight it's more for target. Also many dovetail sights will have slight changes in POI if you take them on and off and it's overkill for a hunting sight IMO.

There are people here that think the more you pay the better the sight and that's simply not true. The more you know about what features you want (or need) and match them to you purpose is what makes a great sight.......not the $$$.

The problem is we all don't want or need the same thing.
This is a good response and how I want to be thinking about it. The sight is going on a Realm SR6. I like the idea of a dovetail simply for having a sight setup farther away from the bow that will give me an edge on accuracy. Granted, I have been using a fixed sight for the last 6 years and I don't think about the sight when trying to improve my shot, I think about my form. I am taking a deeper dive into form and arrow tuning this year to get the best performance and accuracy I can. The new bow I am moving to has a smaller brace height which I am interested in seeing the effects of once I really get shooting with it (on its way).

It seemed like a dovetail is a no brainer, but I would be fine sticking to fixed. I agree with you that weight is a concern, I have seen the high tech sights and its like attaching a brick..for what? For shifting my pins up a few yards to deal with longer range? Where I am now, most situations present at 5-20 yards and I haven't had a shooter outside of 50 yards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Look into the EZV bowsight, especially for a hunting sight. Unconventional yes but is not a bad thing as with a little transition from my multi pin sight I now get my spot/ target in the sight picture and the V lines up where it needs to be instinctively ( hunting ranges 50 or under i would say) and I am on! You can always range a target with a laser then use the tics on the V for slower long range shooting and absolutely maintain your "pin like accuracy" however I much prefer shooting between the tics vrs putting the pin on the spot for several reasons. Many advantages that include no pin to adjust at the time of truth ,a much better ( to me) sight picture and great instant ranging capability. Many great sights out there, for hunting and general shooting I pick this one ( I have a couple). :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look into the EZV bowsight, especially for a hunting sight. Unconventional yes but is not a bad thing as with a little transition from my multi pin sight I now get my spot/ target in the sight picture and the V lines up where it needs to be instinctively ( hunting ranges 50 or under i would say) and I am on! You can always range a target with a laser then use the tics on the V for slower long range shooting and absolutely maintain your "pin like accuracy" however I much prefer shooting between the tics vrs putting the pin on the spot for several reasons. Many advantages that include no pin to adjust at the time of truth ,a much better ( to me) sight picture and great instant ranging capability. Many great sights out there, for hunting and general shooting I pick this one ( I have a couple). :wink:
Interesting, I saw this sight and my reaction was, oh wow that seems like too much in the sight window. I'll look into this, I like the idea of targeting a point without a pin, although a .10 pin feels that way a little bit already. Thanks

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Interesting, I saw this sight and my reaction was, oh wow that seems like too much in the sight window. I'll look into this, I like the idea of targeting a point without a pin, although a .10 pin feels that way a little bit already. Thanks
Lets see how many ways I use my EZV sight. for practice I use all 7 sets of tick marks, for hunting I chg. the tick mark color, silver for the 20 and 30yd marks as I really don't need them, just V
the animal and shoot. 40, 50 and 60 are painted red, my most used ranges 70 and 80, black, don't shoot at an animal at those ranges. That said I still have the option of framing the vitals and shoot.

For indoor winter league I switch out my hunting V ring and use a ring with just one set of tick marks painted as my archery club only shoots 20 yds. There are other ways that I use the sight for but
those listed are my primary uses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts