Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. Well after two used bows, I am off to purchase my first new bow. The two that I have shot the most and like are the 2017 / 2018 PSE Stinger & the Hoyt Powermax. I am aware that they are at two different price points, but I enjoyed shooting both. Any Ideas and input from people that have either, or shot either would be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt Prazenica
Carlisle, PA

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
No one can give you the right answer.. whichever one feels the absolute most complete to you and what benefits your needs. Is what you should get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
All your own personal choice. But the Hoyt is a better bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Shoot as many bows as you can. I shot around 20 different bows till I made my last pick. It's all about personal preference.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
50,316 Posts
I'm also in the market. Can you explain why the hoyt is the better buy. It is quite a bit more expensive and the op says they feel similar.
They come with better accessories, string and cables are a better quality. Just a personal feeling. There is nothing wrong with the Stringer, my daughter and son in law shoot them. But I have up graded their rests and string and cables.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Between the Stinger and Powermax, although the Max is more expensive, it's definitely more bow for the money than the Stinger.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Not to put anybody down, but let's be real. Some people like to know/feel that they are playing premium price for a bow perceived to be the best money can buy. Other's are perfectly happy with a much cheaper bow that fits them and their wallet perfectly. There is nothing wrong with either approach, find the bow that you like the best, fit's your needs and you can afford.

I have several bows from different companies and to be honest one of my favorite is from a bow company that many people look down on and was able to get it for a fraction used. But you know what, it shoots awesome for me and puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it. Yet I have another bow that I feel I paid a little more than I would have liked for it. But it was worth every penny extra I paid because I love that bow too and get it just the way I wanted it.

Try as many bows as you can and buy the one that puts a smile on your face. Because all the talk of which is better is very subjective and comes down to personal preference. Just because you paid more money for a bow doesn't mean it's always "better". But sometimes it is "better".

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not to put anybody down, but let's be real. Some people like to know/feel that they are playing premium price for a bow perceived to be the best money can buy. Other's are perfectly happy with a much cheaper bow that fits them and their wallet perfectly. There is nothing wrong with either approach, find the bow that you like the best, fit's your needs and you can afford.

I have several bows from different companies and to be honest one of my favorite is from a bow company that many people look down on and was able to get it for a fraction used. But you know what, it shoots awesome for me and puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it. Yet I have another bow that I feel I paid a little more than I would have liked for it. But it was worth every penny extra I paid because I love that bow too and get it just the way I wanted it.

Try as many bows as you can and buy the one that puts a smile on your face. Because all the talk of which is better is very subjective and comes down to personal preference. Just because you paid more money for a bow doesn't mean it's always "better". But sometimes it is "better".

I so wish I could try out a whole bunch of different ones. Don't think I can go wrong though with trying out those that are most reviewed. All things being considered if the feel is find I'd pick up whatever is cheaper.

I keep hearing about accuracy at the 20 yard mark. My diamond provider with a ton of practice seems pretty reliable as a hunting bow within 20 yards. Haven't worked it much beyond that but I'm sure it would go further. But at 20 my shots are often dead center and when they aren't I've noticed it was my grip that was the issue.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Could really care less what bow any random dude shoots, but my advice to someone I know would be...

A. Used Reign 6 or 7 for about $700-$750.
B. Leftover new 2016 Experience or Prodigy for $500-$600.
C. If a longer draw length, Used Boss or CPXL.

You don't have to spend $1000-$1200 out the gate to get started, any of the above will be a helluva bow at a bargain price.
BTW, my 82nd Airborne & Allegiance (9 & 12 years old) aren't going anywhere.

·
Registered
196 Posts
All personal choice. I recently just went through the same decision. I shot Elite, Mathews, Obsession, PSE, decided on Obsession. Many of the bows I shot felt outstanding to me, So i narrowed it by shooting in pairs and deciding which would win the day. At end the Obsession stood over the rest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you to everyone for the input. Definitely appreciated. I will update after I make my purchase later this week.

·
Registered
671 Posts
All personal choice. I recently just went through the same decision. I shot Elite, Mathews, Obsession, PSE, decided on Obsession. Many of the bows I shot felt outstanding to me, So i narrowed it by shooting in pairs and deciding which would win the day. At end the Obsession stood over the rest.
I've never shot an Obsession, but I hear they shoot nice.

·
Registered
41 Posts

It's bear, isn't it

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've never shot an Obsession, but I hear they shoot nice.

If you have the opportunity to shoot one be it a shop or friend I recommend you do. All my friends shoot Mathews and pushed me towards it. Really like them but the Obsession just felt a step above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today was the day!!! I went to my local shop and purchased the 2017 Hoyt PowerMax. It is so smooth at 70 lbs. The RTH package was worth it just for the QAD Rest. The five pound increase did tire me a little, but the shots were worth it! I took my stepson's 2011 Bowtech Destroyer 350 for a restring. All I need is to upgrade his sight and it will be getting sent off to Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. This whole time, his mom and I have been letting him believe that we're going to make him buy it back from me. I had the limbs checked. New peep, string silencers, kisser button and D loop added as well. And on a couple spots where the graphic peeled, I airbrushed the red right back in. I hope everyone can see the pictures. Thanks to all for the input. Before my purchase, I shot 2 PSE's, a Matthews, and two Bear bows. The Hoyt is just so smooth (I may have said that already).
Bow 1.jpg Bow 1.jpg Bow 2.jpg
Bow 2.jpg Good luck this year guys and gals!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts