Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
What I noticed this season, in limited time in the field, was at 2 spots no difference in deer populations, however in my main spot I did notice I guess a decline in numbers, saw deer every time I went out, which is unusual, but not the numbers.

What I mean is over the past 10 hunting seasons I would see on hunts 6-18 deer, sometimes I would see none. This year I would see 2-4 deer every hunt..

we have to remember these things go in cycles, ups and downs, like the stock market.

Farmers want them all dead (unless they hunt ) because they are visible animals they can see in their fields eating their profits, when in fact its the unseen animals like squirrels, black birds, raccoons and others that do far more damage.

There has to be a happy medium for all

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I was "all in" until it got to the bottom and an advertisement for the NDA. Not to say that they are not a quality organization. I don't even really know anything about them, but it makes you question the content of what they are putting out when an add is placed on the back end of things. Oklahoma has had a strange season, but as the last post stated these things go in cycles. A few years ago deer sightings were way way up, but that didn't draw a lot of attention. I don't know about other states, but from what I saw this year situation normal.

·
Vendor
25,424 Posts
The author of this story is the Director of the national deer alliance association. Another new deer association in which their people do make a buck or two. Wonder what agenda he has. His source that hunted 60 hours and then 66 hours without seeing a deer and he manages his deer? Not denying that deer numbers are down in some areas, these are close to the numbers the insurance companies and farmers can live with. We better get used to these numbers because that is where they are probably going to stay.

·
Registered
10,585 Posts
Agree that deer numbers are down because of all the reasons posted. I "don't" think it is a crisis. I do think that state agencies have gone a bit too far in reducing populations and winter, disease and predators have exacerbated the problem. I think what might come out of all this is that state agencies given deer management authority will gradually lose their ability to control deer numbers as more and more hunters start to manage their own land/trigger fingers. Maybe.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
It's Outdoor Life, meaning it's typically more opinion than fact.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Agree.
I have yet to see anything that wasn't biased printed in OL lately especially the top gear reviews.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts