Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be going to Illinois in a few weeks (october 15-20) and i would like to take a decoy with me and i was trying to decide to take a buck or a doe - in case i do a little grunting, i was leaning towards a buck but what do u think?
also i cant afford a lifesize but i was going to maybe get one of those thin ones with the picture on both sides what do u think
thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have hunted deer for quite a while both with and without decoys. For me I just haven't gotten as good of a response as I would have liked with a decoy. I just hunt without the decoy now, its one less thing to carry with me in the field(maybe its just me that feels like they carry the whole pro shop with them to their stand). If I were to choose I would take a doe decoy, its still a little early for any rutting action in the midwest at that point but they are definitely getting curious! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'd put the buck out personally at that point in early rut. The bucks are sparring for territory at that point, but a little early for breeding. You may get action with either. However, decoys aren't going to bring in deer from all over....what they will do is help you get the deer to come in those last few yards, and potentially from the direction you desire. If you are hunting for bucks, I say use the decoy. Does however, don't seem to like decoys so if you are looking to tag a deer first and foremost, don't use a decoy, just calls.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it was me I would have the buck decoy out. At this time of the year they are still picking on each other and a new kid on the block my get the attention of the big boy on the block.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decoy

well, i may try the buck but do u think one of those thin decoys will still be okay and its not too early to try huh?
thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
I read a feeding doe is best, I heard this after I got my "Ready Doe".:frusty: Now I take the legs off and use it as a bedded doe. When it was standing with the head up it seemed to put them on alert.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ive had deer come check out the thin decoys.I shot a doe last year while she was inspecting mine.I would use the buck and then a doe when they start chasing.Does are usually leary of a doe decoy.Most deer ive had around mine are alert but hang around long enough for a shot.I usually put it out about 15-20 yds and hold low in case they jump the string since their already alert.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I have used a doe decoy and had mixed reactions (kinda depends on attitude of the deer)......not all does shy away from them...had a doe and 2 little one litteraly run in from like 600 yrds.:wink: .........long story short...she busted me:eek: (bowhunting i guess) ..........other times they may see it and run like they been shot with a rifle. :confused: good luck:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
decoy

could i put it just off the trail i'm hunting or maybe put it in a field edge. would you guys put it in the field to lure deer out or put it inside the woodline?
thanks
Eric

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I would definitely put out the buck decoy. Doe decoys only work well during the rut IMHO.
Good luck.

Lien2

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Lien2 said:
I would definitely put out the buck decoy. Doe decoys only work well during the rut IMHO.
Good luck.

Lien2

Oops.......I forgot to add or late pre-rut for a doe decoy. :embara:

Lien2

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I used a montanna siloette doe decoy last year three times. The third trip was all it took for me. First time I used it I had a momma and two young feeding towards me, in line with the decoys thin side, when she got within 10 yards she caught enough of the front to send her jumping out of her hide, she flipped out completely ran 10 yards and stood there stomping the ground for what seemed liked forever, I do have to say I could have shot her dead a hundred times the way she was locked on to the decoy, but she was also snorting every minute or so alarming everything in the square mile of stand. The straw that broke the camels back was second week of Nov. morning hunt Im hunting a small food plot that has a major scrape line through it. place the decoy on the edge. just breaks light I give three doe bleats and all hell breaks loose, I see a 150" buck trotting towards me at 75 yards letting out a grunt every third step. he gets to about 40 yards and slams on the breaks when he finally sees the decoy. he stood in the thicket pacing back and forth like he was behind a fence trying to catch any scent or movement from her, I did have doe in estrous out but the wind was blowing from him past me. He snort weezed at that decoy seven times. he stuck around for twenty five minutes and finally figured something was up and walked away. I just think he wanted some type of movement or something before he committed. So no more decoy for me. Back to cabelas she went.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
TAYLANEMILYME said:
but should i put the decoy in a field where other deer could see it or put it in the woods on the edge

I would not put it in the woods unless they are fairly open. Deer will be startled at the sight of a "stranger" at close range. Put it along the edge of a field where deer can observe it from a distance and keep an eye on it as they aproach. The decoy will also be more visible to more deer in a field as apposed to being in the woods where it can't lure as many deer in.
Put a buck decoy facing you or quartering to you, put a doe decoy facing away or quartering away. Bucks will "investigate" the different sex's in different directions.

Lien2

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I've had better luck with the buck decoy, I can take the horns off mine and use it either way.

·
Registered
145 Posts
if u ues one make sure your sent it down with (doe) a doe in heat sent if u ues a buck them use a dominate buck sent or yonug buck sent...it may look like a deer but if it smells like a human they wont give another look

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Bottmhtr said:
Also put tape or tack some toilet paper to ears and tails, will move with the breeze. If windy use something heavier.

Excellent tip. I cut peices out of a white garbage bag, attached them into the ears, and a bigger one on the tail. They move with the slightest breeze and add realism which calms the deer.

Lien2

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Ditto. I do the same thing on my carry- lite decoy. Had a lot of deer spook or hang up out of range before I started doing this. Seems to be a calming effect for the deer, and it adds some realism and movement

Lien2 said:
Excellent tip. I cut peices out of a white garbage bag, attached them into the ears, and a bigger one on the tail. They move with the slightest breeze and add realism which calms the deer.

Lien2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts