Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it affect me if I don't use decoys this spring........I'm going to use calls just really don't wanna go out and buy decoys if I don't have to

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you are a good enough caller you do not need decoys.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,523 Posts
If you are in timber or thicker stuff calling alone can work fine. If you are on a field they might hang up if they don't have a visual.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I might be in the minority here, but I would almost rather forget my calls at home than a decoy. Actually one fall opener I lost my striker for my slate call, but had a hen decoy and still killed a bird with no calling. I think decoys are a huge advantage. Without them you will find a lot of gobblers will hang up.

·
Catty Shack
12,411 Posts
If you are in timber or thicker stuff calling alone can work fine. If you are on a field they might hang up if they don't have a visual.
Good advice. I have several of the foam type that are easy to carry plus I just bought the "Funky Chicken", it looks like it will work pretty well. Years ago we hunted an area with huge farm pastures so I made about 6 decoys out of 1/2" plywood. They were flat but when painted up they looked great from a distance, I even made one Tom with a beard hanging down. Mixed in with a couple Feather Flex decoys that would swivel in the breeze, it looked like a flock of turkeys feeding. Good luck.

·
Fishing Guide
2,527 Posts
I agree its a good tactic in the woods and steeper terrain, what we have around here where I hunt; makes the tom come searching for the hen he can't see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts