Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start using a decoy this season, but I don't know what to buy. What do you use, or which do you think is better? Full body or montana style decoy? THANKS

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
I cant tell you which is better, and I have never used my decoy in the field yet, but I went with the Carry-Lite Bucky Jr..Seems to be a good decoy, unless you are trying to pack everything back inside of it!

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,401 Posts
Full body

Stay away from the Montana style as the buck circles - and they all do - most hold up and many spook.

I prefer a full body that has ears and a tail that I can position. Adding a little TP in the ears and on the rear adds the little bit of movement in the wind that helps set them at ease.

If you want to do it right get two - keep antlers on one and keep the other slick - you'll be amazed at what the tandem can produce.

Proof is in the pics or should I say vid......

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I have the Carry-lite Bucky Jr. and had great luck last year. They have the EZ-Buck out now and I would love to have it, but mine is too new to replace.

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
definitely go full body if you can

they can be a PAIN to haul out to your hunting spot but they look and work much better if you ask me

as far as which one...I think they all work. They all look real enough to fool a deer. At least any deer thats 'foolable' Mine is one of the old Flambeaus

When bucks are in the right mood....they just cant stand a challenger in their area.

Does....in my experience are usually scared of decoys. Not to the point they flee the country....but they usually skirt around them or investigate very cautiously and then go the other way.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a buckwing & if I was to buy another I think I would go with the Primos scarface. I've had good luck with mine, never had anything spook from it & had a few bucks come in pretty aggressive. I put just one large antler on, so it looks like he's already been whooped on.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I think I have a Flambeau. It's a big one. They work great but it takes a little learning curve to figure it out.

I have found that they only work for about 4-7 days per year to get the most out of them. Usually about Nov 3-10 for me. Their chase/seek phase.

Put it out in the open where they can see it from a long way. They almost always come in from behind. I have found that wind doesn't seem to matter and they will approach from any wind, but almost always from behind.

Once a buck sees it, shut up. Use a rattle or grunt to get them to look your way, but once it locks on, let nature and curiosity takes it's course. If it's the right time of year, the buck won't be able to let it go.

Beware that it will scare the hell out of little bucks and does. So if you're just meat hunting, don't bother. To me, the bigger the better because I want a dominant buck to come in.

I've had big bucks attack the decoy right before first light. That's fun as heck until you have to climb down to put it back together.

Keep it scent free or add buck urine or tarsal scent. I've never messed with putting anything on to mimic movement. I've heard it works, but I haven't tried it.

They are a royal pain to transport in early morning. That plastic is really noisy. If I can, I bring in the day before and leave all taken apart under stand brushed in. Then set up in the morning.

The nice thing is that when it's time to draw on a deer, they don't even pay attention to you. They are so intent on kicking the decoys butt you can get away with a lot. But also remember that sometimes your shot opportunity is brief because they are on a mission. I've noticed the bigger, the more aggressive they are and come right in and attack. Those closer in size to the decoy will be a little slower and more cautious.

They aren't always the most stable things. I have drilled eye bolts(1/4" diameter) into the hooves and then washer/nutted. I then use tent stakes with a hook on one end to go through the eyebolts to secure all 4 legs to ground. In heavy wind or uneven ground this keeps it upright. Nothing worse than the dang thing blowing over at "the" perfect hour.

Get one, play with it and have fun. I'm sure I've left stuff out or others may disagree, but this is what works for me in my area.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Will it work pre-rut?

Do bucks need to be in the rut to respond to a decoy? Out here in Northern California the hunting season is over before the rut is in full swing. Also, any idea if this would work for blacktail deer? I assume that Scarface is modeled after a whitetail buck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
decoy

Have a carry lite and have found that if I flip it upside down and attach one strap behind front legs(all the way around body) and second in front of back legs I can thread third through these two and make shoulder strap to carry fully assembled minus horns and tail which I attach in field. Makes it fairly easy to carry and removes noise of assembly from hunting area. Like stated before if you hit the right period it's a sight to see how well they work. I also like to use one horn most of the time. If I'm going to use it again in morning in same area I stash it under brush and leave it for the night. They are unnervingly noisy to assemble in the predawn when everything else is so quite. Will make ya think you've spooked every deer for a mile.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had a carry lite decoy until last year ,it was kind of bulky and noisy.
I bought a Primos scarface much better quiet and a lot easier to carry in.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Have a carry lite and have found that if I flip it upside down and attach one strap behind front legs(all the way around body) and second in front of back legs I can thread third through these two and make shoulder strap to carry fully assembled minus horns and tail which I attach in field. Makes it fairly easy to carry and removes noise of assembly from hunting area. Like stated before if you hit the right period it's a sight to see how well they work. I also like to use one horn most of the time. If I'm going to use it again in morning in same area I stash it under brush and leave it for the night. They are unnervingly noisy to assemble in the predawn when everything else is so quite. Will make ya think you've spooked every deer for a mile.
That is the way I carried mine last year . The does hated it ; so I would put it behind me and let them lock up 10-20 yds out :wink:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INFO i WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING THE SCARFACE ONE.

Gander Mountain has them on sale this week for $119

Thats a very good price

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thats how I killed mine last week up in Wisconsin....He came over to the buck decoy I had out there...Flambeau with horns that were around 100 inches. I had a couple bucks come from over 200 yds in the alfalfa field to check him out. Finally my shooter came over right to it and I let a G5 striker pop through both lungs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts