Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit a doe with my SUV. Im fine, she's not so much. Little damage to the car but got her head mainly. She died really quick and I threw her in the back of my SUV and brought her home.

My question is, how long can I keep her without going bad? It's 2am and I was hoping to get a few hours of sleep, then around 7 or 8 am, start the process.

Any ideas if I should just do this now, or if a few hours will be OK? Its not too cold here in MO right now either. In fact, it's 47 degrees out. I know with no 'bullet/arrow hole' in their chest cavity, they bloat up pretty quick. Any ideas?

·
Registered
115 Posts
gut her now. I did the same thing a few years ago and the meat stunk when I gutted her 6 hours later. it was about 40 degrees out that night. I think the trauma might affect the guts or something. good luck

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
I don't mean to question you or start a fire here, but did you get permission permission from the local authorities before taking her home? 95% of the time, they will authorize you to take the animal. But, if you didn't, you should always do that first. Not to mention to file a police report for your vehicle accident for insurance purposes and then for the deer.

Now, for the question at hand, I'd suggest gutting her if you're not going to start for a few hours. She should be fine if you gut her, but I wouldn't recommend waiting to gut and process her for the 3 hours of sleep.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't mean to question you or start a fire here, but did you get permission permission from the local authorities before taking her home? 95% of the time, they will authorize you to take the animal. But, if you didn't, you should always do that first. Not to mention to file a police report for your vehicle accident for insurance purposes and then for the deer.

Now, for the question at hand, I'd suggest gutting her if you're not going to start for a few hours. She should be fine if you gut her, but I wouldn't recommend waiting to gut and process her for the 3 hours of sleep.
actually most of the time insurance companies don't even need a report on car/deer accidents, the reason we even do the reports is so the state can keep track of statistics.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
ALWAYS gut an animal as soon as possible. The quicker the deer cools the better the meat will taste.
+1 to this, don't have to cut the meat immediately, but I always gut mine right away.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,368 Posts
+1 to this, don't have to cut the meat immediately, but I always gut mine right away.
+2, leaving the guts in it for a period of time will ruin the meat more than if it was left hanging without guts for a period of time before getting a chance to process it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Always gut first thing ASAP.Especially a deer hit with a vehicle.Most of the guts get busted up during the accident.It will taint the meat if you dont.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts