Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday late season shotgun hunt. Fresh dusting of snow , 20 degree temps, 20-25mph northwest winds made for great still hunting conditions. About an hour into it a doe pops up at 60-70yds I let a 20g slug fly and dropped her where she stood. When I walked over I was surprised to see a massive wound that I belive was caused by a low placed 12g slug the week before. She had a broken leg and lower chest cavity was split open. I couldn't belive she was alive after that. The old wound was becoming infected and stunk, I was worried she may have gone septic and all the meat would be no good. I cut out the infection and butchered her last night. Maybe lost 1-2lbs of meat. The rest was all fine. You can see my shot a little further back with fresh blood. I belive she dropped when I hit her because she was so weak. I have no problem killing for food, but I always feel a touch sad for taking an animals life. I was happy to shoot this deer as I belive she would have died in the next few days.

20160118_094640.jpg

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
that hurts just looking at it

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
She was hard as nails to survive that!
You weren't worried about the infection carrying thru bloodstream to rest of meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She was hard as nails to survive that!
You weren't worried about the infection carrying thru bloodstream to rest of meat?

Should I be? The rest of the meat appears fine. No smell... I figured if the infection entered the blood and therefore the rest of the meat it would smell off.... im basing this on zero knowledge and just my feelings. So comments especially with knowledge to back them up are welcome. I have not consumed any of the deer yet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I'm no expert but there is no way I'd eat that meat, no idea what type of infection is floating around in the blood stream. I hate to see it go to waste but is it worth getting your family sick over? Glad you were able to put her out of her misery, she was going to have a long slow death otherwise.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,398 Posts
She looks healthy to me I wouldn't be worried about it in the least to be honest. If she looked sick Id question it. Other then that dinner is served. Congrats

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its funny up untill gtm's post eating this deer wasnt even a question. Now you guys got me scared.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
You stated you thought she might have been weak because she fell on your shot. I'm not an expert but whenever i killed a deer with an active infection I would run a steel stake thru it and use it as a coyote bait for trap line.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Cooking the meat will kill anything. Your fine

I had a farmer tell me that too. So I guess it's just the case to cook the meat thoroughly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got off the phone with my local deer biologist. I explained what happened. She said the deer should be fine , just to cook it through. Aslo we discussed ageing the meat a few days. If there was indeed infection in the blood it should begin to show.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If you don't eat that deer, send it to me. Your immune system attacks the foreign contaminants resulting from a wound; germs, bugs, hair, viruses, anything not sterile. Your system attacks it where it is and that area will get real nasty. As long as you've removed it and a little extra, you'll be good to go. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
We shot an antelope years ago that had a bad infection in his hind quarter. I believe it was probably gain green as it was green, swelled, smelled and was oozing. But we cut that hind quarter off and the rest of the meat seemed fine. We processed it and ate it.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,398 Posts
Im sure everyone of us have eaten a deer with active infection and didn't even realize it. Enjoy the venison

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its cold here this week. 20's so I think my game plan is to age the meat in my garage and monitor it. So long as it doesn't discolor or develop any smell im probably going to deem it edible. Ill probably grind most of it as my ground meat is always well cooked.

·
Devil's Advocate
923 Posts
yeah youd have to cook the hell out of that meat to be safe. i enjoy my meat medium rare. you're a braver man than I.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heres a little update. I spoke with the local deer biologist. She pretty much told me as long as the meat is cooked there is nothing to worry about. Then I spoke to the state wildlife pathologist office. Legally they cant tell you its fine. But he said with my plan of aging the meat a few days and monitoring it was good. He also mentioned that as long as the meat is properly cooked it would kill and bacteria or viruses that "could" be present. I was actually deboning the meat while on the phone with him. I was describing what I was seeing and he was not very concerned as I was describing the meat as a nice red color and zero smell. Now I like a rare backstrap more then the next guy, but I have decided with this deer im going to dedicate the meat for "well" cooked dishes. A large portion is going to become sausage which I alway cook the heck out of cause I dont trust pork. The rest will be crock pot meat or maybe cutlets which I like almost burnt. I appreciate the comments and understand peoples apprehension but I firmly belive we all have eaten way worse in the form of store bought chop meat. The pathologist's statement even if there was a problem cooking it properly would take came of everything was the final confidence I needed not to waste this meat. I hope in the future someone will be in a similar position and find this post. Lots of posts based of peoples feelings which is great but im going with the advice from two people who whent to college about this stuff.
Anyone want to come by for dinner??

20160119_174041.jpg

·
I shoot a Martin :)
653 Posts
If you freeze the meat it should kill any active bacteria right? That what I have heard many times

1 - 20 of 35 Posts