Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the rule on walking to your stand and when you start to cross the field in the dark and you see 10 to 12 deer bedded down between you and your stand. What's the best way to get there or do you just sit down til day light..

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Not all spots can be hunted mornings. Without knowing what your setup is I would have to say this is one of them if your crossing a field to get to it and seeing deer bedded in it

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
I have a few places like this were walking in blows everything out. I like to go in a hour to hour and a half before daylight. While it's still dark everything will run off but it won't go far and usually will be back by daylight.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The rule is "Learn what the deer are telling you".
Analyze it. ;
Cold weather , does waiting for a warm sunrise?
Coyote in the woods, does waiting in a good viewing area.
Big buck has a doe cornered , chased her family away etc...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most likely I would stay put until they move off. If I knew I could take an alternative route and get past undetected, then maybe I would try to get to my stand. If you are consistently running into this problem, I would either A: quit hunting mornings or B: find an alternative access route.

·
Vendor
25,450 Posts
If a deer is scared enough to get up and run away, what real reason does it have to come back in an hour? On an afternoon hunt we walk in while it is light. If there are deer between us and the stand we can choose to stalk the deer in sight or go to the stand. Personally I would rather hunt the deer in sight than climb a tree and hope they come by. After walking in daylight while climbing up the tree, I have had deer come in looking for a fight because they hear the stand scratching on the bark and think it is another deer. From the time I climb up until it is dark deer can and do come in even though I just walked in during light.

So if we can walk in the light of the afternoon and successfully kill deer, why not the same in the morning. Sleep in the extra hour or hour and a half, that some like to sit in trees in the dark. Stay warm until you can see without a flashlight. Staying warm and comfortable will allow longer morning sits during light when it is legal to shoot. If I see deer while walking in and the wind is right, I will stalk the deer that I know are there. I take my time getting on stand with a sit and climb stand because no matter how quiet I try, close deer will hear you and walk in while the hunter is climbing. If climbing very slowly and listening for the sound of footsteps, for 20 to 30 seconds between each climbing step, the hunter can hear the deer walking in. If you have your bow close, you may get a shot and not have to climb the rest of the tree.
Not saying its the only way, but for the past twenty years it has worked great for me.:wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I go out early and find deer, I always try to stalk in close enough for a shot, i di the best when there's still about an hour till shooting light because i am not in a hurry and so don't rush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
I do whatever I can to avoid fields in the morning. I only hunt evenings in the early and late season.

·
Elitist
5,892 Posts
I'd say you're really late going in if you can see deer while you're going in. I usually get into my stand or blind an hour to an hour and a half prior to legal shooting light. If it's clear and there is a bright moon, I don't go that morning.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
If a deer is scared enough to get up and run away, what real reason does it have to come back in an hour? On an afternoon hunt we walk in while it is light. If there are deer between us and the stand we can choose to stalk the deer in sight or go to the stand. Personally I would rather hunt the deer in sight than climb a tree and hope they come by. After walking in daylight while climbing up the tree, I have had deer come in looking for a fight because they hear the stand scratching on the bark and think it is another deer. From the time I climb up until it is dark deer can and do come in even though I just walked in during light.

So if we can walk in the light of the afternoon and successfully kill deer, why not the same in the morning. Sleep in the extra hour or hour and a half, that some like to sit in trees in the dark. Stay warm until you can see without a flashlight. Staying warm and comfortable will allow longer morning sits during light when it is legal to shoot. If I see deer while walking in and the wind is right, I will stalk the deer that I know are there. I take my time getting on stand with a sit and climb stand because no matter how quiet I try, close deer will hear you and walk in while the hunter is climbing. If climbing very slowly and listening for the sound of footsteps, for 20 to 30 seconds between each climbing step, the hunter can hear the deer walking in. If you have your bow close, you may get a shot and not have to climb the rest of the tree.
Not saying its the only way, but for the past twenty years it has worked great for me.:wink:
The bolded part states my perspective.......you are hunting deer, not just deer that come by a particular tree or down a specific trail. Once you see deer, it is time to kick into predator mode and see what you can do. If you end up busting them, they don't know you are the same guy hiding across the woods in a given treestand. If they do, you are busted anyway. Learn to use terrain to your advantage and start hunting the moment you grab your bow and head into the woods.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What's the rule on walking to your stand and when you start to cross the field in the dark and you see 10 to 12 deer bedded down between you and your stand. What's the best way to get there or do you just sit down til day light..
How are you seeing them in the dark? Not being a smart a!! Just don't understand

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Don't walk across fields in the morning. Find a better way to the tree unless you're hunting the field. I've never really found the need to hunt a field in the morning. Deer are always gone before light pre and post rut. Hunt them on their way to bed and hunt between bedding areas during the rut. Deer aren't that complicated, just don't over complicate it by letting them know you are there repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
Go read the book Whitetail by Design

1 - 16 of 16 Posts