Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A.K.A BuckChef
4,088 Posts
Honestly, I dont use anyhting early on like this. Not till mid October do I use a little bit of a grunt call.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Honestly, I dont use anyhting early on like this. Not till mid October do I use a little bit of a grunt call.
x2. it seems the deer spook more in the early season when calling. soft,low key calling late Oct. early Nov. as long as its not overdone .remember,grunt SOFTLY. deer don't yell.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We all still have the Kruncher to fall back on.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have called in does in early season by wailing on a fawn distress. Sometimes they come crashing right in. I only do it when if I want to kill a doe and I am about done with my hunt in the morning. This way if it doesn't work....no harm no foul.

·
Registered
185 Posts
early season the horns seem to work good here just lite stuff though

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I have called in does in early season by wailing on a fawn distress. Sometimes they come crashing right in. I only do it when if I want to kill a doe and I am about done with my hunt in the morning. This way if it doesn't work....no harm no foul.
x2. Only problem with using a fawn in distress is the does come in on "Ultra High Alert".

·
Registered
436 Posts
x2. Only problem with using a fawn in distress is the does come in on "Ultra High Alert".
Yeah....you definately have to be ready for anything. I had one a few years ago that would have made a great video hunt. I was wailing on my fawn bleat and she came crashing in and stopped at 15 yards broadside. I was back to fulldraw before she came to a stop. I sent a 100 grain 3 blade muzzy through her lungs. She was the second doe to respond to that calling sequence within about a 3 minute time span. The first one came bounding out of a thicket across the field and I didn't see her until right before she picked me off. If your going to try it have your bow in hand and be ready for some quick action because when they come in they ain't sneeking. It seems to work better early in the season. Also...make sure to put some emotion into the calling. Try to stay away from just saying bah bah bah bah. I try to imagine what a terrified fawn would sound like if it had a yote pulling on its leg, which brings me to my next point. Also be ready for ol' Wily himself to show up. You mey get to smoke a yote with your bow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts