Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am deciding what to use for a mineral site. I want to put down Deer Cane but I am just not sure which one to use the regular or the black magic Deer Cane. Is one better than the other?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have had better luck with the regular Deer Cane, but I don't know if one is supposed to be better.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have had really good success with both, but I actually prefer the black magic...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
black magic way better for me

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
I have tried them both and got zero results with both. guess it depends on your region. however, I have gotten excellent results mixing my own minerals ( 1 part Di Cal, 1 part salt and 2 parts red minerals).

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Both are pretty much non-beneficial to deer as they contain mostly sodium...get Whitetail Institute's 30/06 (with or without protein).....it has the minerals deer need.....

·
Mark
5,239 Posts
I've used both. Better luck with black, think its a better attractant.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Black magic is what I use but I prefer a mix from tsc a lot better deal get 40lbs for 15 bucks and deer hit it a lot harder imo

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I tried it and didn't see much for results. Started using a $6 50lb trace mineral block from the local landmark and started getting lots of deer pics along with every other animal in the woods.
I experimented with other brands of deer attractants and the only other one that was consistent is apple and sugar beat crush, I only use crush in the fall though due to expense.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
ive never had much luck with either, deer will come lick but they have by no means been making it a part of their regular diet on my farms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you read the ingredients, to me it looks like Black Magic Deer Cane has di-cal in it and the regular doesn't. Havent tried them yet but my buddy put some on a stump and said they about uprooted the stump. Swears by it....Im wondering if the ground or on a stump is better. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I used the black magic cane and it sucks. Deer didn't touch any over a 3 week period.

Put the last half a bag in the back yard for my backyard herd and not only did they not touch it, it turned into what I can only describe as a big old chunk of wet cat litter. Then that cat littler killed a big old spot on my lawn that didn't come back till the following spring.

So... try the other one.

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts