Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kicking around the idea of using a golf pull cart to get deer out of the woods. Anybody tried this? I wonder if the wheels are too small or the cart may not take the weight.

·
Registered
20,751 Posts
The weight and stability may be an issue depending on the cart you use. Generally the wheel base would be wide enough but the whole cart itself my be a little flimsy under the weight of a mature deer.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Strap your wife to the cart and take her on a hike. If it works, let us know and if it doesn't work, let me know!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Try to find one of those baby jogging carts on craigs list and then just modifiy it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tried the golf bag idea. Wheels didn't work too well. I have a buddy that made a inline 2 wheel cart with 2 front bike tires. Works really well and tracks perfectly on nearrow cow/deer trails in the hills. He even left the hand brake on the front tire so if he gets tired on a incline he applies the brake and takes a breather.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most baby joggers are only rated for a 50lb child. A double jogger will be rated for two 50lb kids---probably not enough for a full-grown deer. They still can be pretty handy though. I picked up a double jogger for cheap on craigslist, and used it a few months ago on a 4-day hunt. The public land forest I was hunting in is landlocked and, while I had permission to cross some private land, I couldn't get a key to the gate. My buddy and I hauled in two 5-gal jugs of water in the baby jogger for 5.5 miles. Once the road ended, we had to carry them another 3miles, but it made short work of the road walk. Going in a week later to camp and hunt, I used the jogger again to carry my pack on the road walk, which saved me a lot of work. Brakes on the jogger really helped to control it on the descents. If you decide to DIY a cart, be sure to add some brakes.

·
The Rut Rascal
1,744 Posts
Golf cart would be top heavy. When you cross ditches and logs the deer will cause it to tip over. 300 lbs is a lot to deal with crossing a log. Bicycle wheels and a 2' wide base help also having the weight of the deer centered on the wheels and not carrying it in your hands help as well. I like the brake idea.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I work in a golf retail store and i deal with these pull carts daily. you would have to modify and put bigger tires on and maybe it would work. The good quality ones will be able to handle the weight but the cheap one i have seen bend with a golf bag full of clubs. Probably 40-50 lbs??? But i love the homemade cart above. Great idea

·
Registered
438 Posts
I Added to my cart so I could strap @ the waist & shoulders & just walk. Alot eaiser then bending down reaching back to pull.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Deer carts are a good idea providing you are walking on pretty level ground. And by level I mean not walking over rocks or logs. The property that I hunt on has so much stuff on the ground that I've stopped using my deer cart on as it's easier to just drag the deer.

David

·
Registered
895 Posts
I found a wheel chair for free and made a deer cart , but have not tried it out yet . set in the shed last year . I think the wheels might be to thin if you had to pull in soft ground .

·
Registered
20,751 Posts
The biggest problem I see with using a golf pull cart is cost. If you get a quality one that may be able to support the weight, it's going to cost you just as much as a game cart initially. Then you have the time and expense of modifying it into a game cart. Seems easier to get a game cart on sale to me. It'd be a fun build if you have scrap tubing around though.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I Added to my cart so I could strap @ the waist & shoulders & just walk. Alot eaiser then bending down reaching back to pull.
Oh baby, I really like the strap on version. my commercial cart is a serious pain in the back side (literally) trying to push or pull it by holding on to it is just a lot of wasted energy. Where I hunt there are plenty of logging roads that are clean and easy to haul on so I'm off to the shop to make some modifications to my cart... Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Oh baby, I really like the strap on version. my commercial cart is a serious pain in the back side (literally) trying to push or pull it by holding on to it is just a lot of wasted energy. Where I hunt there are plenty of logging roads that are clean and easy to haul on so I'm off to the shop to make some modifications to my cart... Thanks for the idea.
By the way when I added on I made mine set level when the belt & shoulder straps are on. Before the handle was to short & back end kept dragging the ground, pain.
Put a picture up when you finish.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts