Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building useful equipment out of discarded material is challenging and fun. Also add a little of your own design concept is rewarding in itself. About 15-years ago after hauling a few harvested deer out of steep gullies that raked ones body with aches afterwards I felt like trying to put something together that would help with this task.

3-Considerations I wanted with building a cart where;
Strength with low a weight as possible.
More then 1-person being able to help navigate cart.
Having reasonable ground clearance.

Started with broken/discarded chairs that has square tubing for frames, 2-discarded BMX kids bikes for wheels using the rear wheel frame & tires.

Anyway here’s how it developed and ended up.

Here is a 6-point buck secured in the cart ready for hauling out of the gulley.

The one flaw with this buggy is the high center of gravity that can be flipped but with the addition of the T-handle in the back a 3rd man can easily assist to prevent this.
Also since these pictures were taken a braking system has been added for those uphill stops to rest. It was a fun project to weld up and is used more than ever today. Our now older bodies thank us for the less abuse.
Hope this is helpful to someone or sparks a better idea on a Buck Cart.

Ed

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great job! I'm looking forward to building something like that if I can get a welder.
I hope you get the chance to build your own creation and enjoy the satisfaction of feeling an accomplishment.

This was built with a simple AC Welding Machine using 1/16 & 5/64, 6013 rod. The cutting was done with a 4-1/2” grinder using Razor Blade Discs. When welding thin material and to help avoid burn through a little extra time to square joints and reduce any gaps makes welding a lot easier.

Thanks for the kind words and good luck when you get a chance to make your own cart or any other project for that matter.

Ed

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Great job ..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great job! I'm looking forward to building something like that if I can get a welder.
you dont need a welder, all you need is an old 16 ft extention ladder, take it apart and cut it off on one end even with the last rung, put an axle thru the rung(peice of threaded rod) and bolt on some wheels.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Nice job on the cart. I need to build one for the " walk in only" areas of Montana. Thanks for posting and reminding me. Draggin a buck for three miles is no fun.... trust me. lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoytboy12

You won’t get an argument from me dragging deer around anywhere.
The one nice thing about such a cart I constructed is it isn’t used just for hauling deer out.
We often use it to move tree stands around, bring in gear for clearing shooting lanes or in one case haul a guy out of gulley with a twisted ankle. This cart has handled over 250lbs in one instance.
And I imagine others can come up with more uses. Going back in 3-miles with multiple gear alone I would definitely want to bring along some kind of carry cart I can just move off nearby.
Just for a point of interest the farm we hunt won’t allow ATV’s and neighboring farms are adopting that policy as well.

Nothing to thank, as I hope my small contribution to this board is useful because of all the profit I gain from other threads.

Ed

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Nice job on the cart. I need to build one for the " walk in only" areas of Montana. Thanks for posting and reminding me. Draggin a buck for three miles is no fun.... trust me. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts