Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how EXACTLY the biologist get their deer numbers every year?
Deer harvest....is it only from reported deer kills?
Deer number per square miles?
How many DMPS to give out every year?

Thanks Guys

·
Bettering the last.....
5,710 Posts
just ask the dec- i am sure they have next years already

·
Registered
468 Posts
1. Deer tagged and reported
2. Estimates for what deer are not reported
3. Hunter / wild life surveys
4. Auto industry reports on deer vehicle collision rates.

Those are the ones i know of.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
This where Steve Piatt (NYON) got the information in his story.

NY Big Game,

Our staff have been out checking deer throughout the state and are reporting higher levels of activity in some areas while others are reporting similar or slightly fewer numbers of deer at check stations and butcher shops compared to last year. However, deer harvest reporting through DECALS during the first few days of the Southern Zone season is up 20% over the same time period in 2008. Remember, though, that the beginning of last year's Southern Zone Regular Season was strongly affected by difficult weather conditions, so I'll be very surprised if we maintain the 20% margin through the entire season.

http://lists.dec.state.ny.us/piperma...09/000060.html

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
wis dnr

i don't know how ny does deer count, but Wis bases their herd count on deer per WOODED area. all open land is considered non whitetail habitat.and there shouldn't be deer on it. that's how our deer herds have been thrown out of wack.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
i don't know how ny does deer count, but Wis bases their herd count on deer per WOODED area. all open land is considered non whitetail habitat.and there shouldn't be deer on it. that's how our deer herds have been thrown out of wack.
its a little more complicated than that. Sex Age Kill or SAK along with a bunch of averages and tendencies is used to determine what's left in the herd and how it mutiplys out for the following season. too complicated to type on my phone tho. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Deer Counts

For deer take by hunters, the counts are actually done at the meat processing places and the count is actually done by a percentage. They count the total number of deer at the processers and record the carcass tag numbers. They then check the number of tags that were actually reported(called in by phone). They take the ratio of deer to the number of called in reporting and abra-cadabra you have your deer take count. An easy example of this is 100 deer at the processers. 25 deer were reported. That means that for the total amount reported they multiply it by 75%. Since reporting is not mandatory and most of the people I know process there own meat than how accurate are the numbers??
For population size they use buck take and car collisions as an indicator. I don't think that this is working too well!!!!:pukey:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info guys..anyone know what percentage of unreported harvested deer are in a average year for NY ????????? some reports say its close to 50%

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The insurance companys tell them how many there are and how many need killed. When deer-car collisions increase the "herd" has increased and more permits are given out. It's a complete joke in NY on how many deer there are. The deer check in Holland, NY, the first weekend checked in something like 50 deer on Sat and 72 on Sunday so based on that, there will be 29 deer per square mile in area 9 next year. More permits needed urgently!!!!!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
1. Deer tagged and reported
2. Estimates for what deer are not reported
3. Hunter / wild life surveys
4. Auto industry reports on deer vehicle collision rates.

Those are the ones i know of.
Add all those together and multiply by 5, issue twice that many tags and there you have it

·
Registered
28 Posts
No deer in p.a.

:mad:If you think N.Y. is bad you ought to check out P.A. you can hunt the whole season and only see 2 to 6 deer. I talked to alot of people this year that never even seen a deer that they could have shot, SAD VERY, VERY SAD!!!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
For deer take by hunters, the counts are actually done at the meat processing places and the count is actually done by a percentage. They count the total number of deer at the processers and record the carcass tag numbers. They then check the number of tags that were actually reported(called in by phone). They take the ratio of deer to the number of called in reporting and abra-cadabra you have your deer take count. An easy example of this is 100 deer at the processers. 25 deer were reported. That means that for the total amount reported they multiply it by 75%. Since reporting is not mandatory and most of the people I know process there own meat than how accurate are the numbers??
For population size they use buck take and car collisions as an indicator. I don't think that this is working too well!!!!:pukey:

Dosen't that mean that 75 people at the butcher didn't tag their deer? And shouldn't 75 people be getting tickets from the GW?

·
Registered
1 Posts
NY deer Counts

Im not positive, but when I was in High School I participated in a lot of deer drives were they had encon personnel on the sides and frontys, counting the number that came out. We did this in numjerous areas around the state, on both state pricate and fedral lands. I know that is going to give them an acurate count state wide but I'm sure itt gives them the educated guess they want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts