Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering kind of an affect cows will have on deer movements?

The guy who farms the land I'm hunting has let his cows out into a new section of pasture which runs up against an area I'm hunting, and they go right through a nice oak flat, an area I was expecting to see deer movement. Deer seem very skittish, I've only hunted the area twice and nothing has even known I was there, and the turkey are non-existant

Is this area screwed? :(

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Well I never hunted under those conditions....but I remember watching a Drury video where they contended with that type of hunting and didn't see a freakin deer for days. Nothing but cows meandering through.

I think they finally relocated away from the cows and wound up getting something.

I guess if you have the time, put in a few days and if nothing pans out...move out and on to cowless lands! ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've been sitting along a deer trail and have a cow walk thru. Just about the time I started thinking the jig was up here came two does walking along the same trail. It didnt seem to bother those two. But that doesnt make it the rule I suppose.

:cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hunt some farm land that is owned by a family member and he has cattle on it. The land is divided by a major two lane highway and one year he will have cattle on one section and switch the next. I always have my best luck on the tract with no cattle. You never see deer out grazing with cows. If the field is large or some areas block from sight of other areas and the cows are on one end of the field then deer will come out to graze. Cows are curious animals and when they see deer they tend to want to investigate. This will send deer for cover. I do not like hunting around cattle.

I did see a doe and a squirl almost rub noses this past Saturday. It is a first for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The scent of cows do not seem to bother deer as much as the cows curiosity does. I guess its the size difference.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Well.....

I've hunted this type of area some and for the most part it really doesnt seem like cows bother deer that much. Actually me and my hunting partner were talking about this yesterday when we looked at some oak's that are on a farm with cows on it...The deer are still hitting the acorns even though the cows are there too.....Now, the only negative thing I have seen is if there is a large mature bull running with the cows....Seems like the cows just ignore the deer but for some reason I've seen bulls just go crazy when they see a deer in the feild, and if the deer is a buck is seems like the bulls want to pick a fight....We use to raise beef cows when I was young and my dad and I went to check the cows on one of our farms one day and when we drove down the feild where they were our big bull was looking up in the woods going nuts...MY dad said "Wonder what is wrong with him?" well I got to looking and there was a large buck in the woods and the bull was freaking out....Bawling, pawing the dirt up and everything...He had the bucks attention but the buck just stared at him and finally walked off.....I'd hunt it some and see what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cow & Deer

This past weekend I hunted the farm I have hunted the past 2 years. Cows run over this 340-acre area, about 120 of it is woods. The cows venture through many areas but you just have to look for the less used ones. The area I hunted in the morning on Friday was overlooking a grove of white acorns and had a fence under me that lead to pasture land behind me. The cows feed about 10am and then they all came through under my stand and out to the big pasture on the other side of the woods. At 1:20pm a 8pt Buck came down the same trail that the cows did earlier that morning. He stopped and ate some of the acorns for about 20 min and then walked off. At 6:30 a doe and 2 fawns came down to the same oaks and had their share. On Saturday morning I went back to the same spot and seen nothing, then about 10:30am the cows came back but stopped at one end and the bull started calling and the cows on the other side came down and they all stayed in the are, so my hunt was up for the day.

I went to another area on this farm for Sunday by some other white oaks and seen 3 more doe's in a less cow-traveled area by some cedar trees.

You can find deer in these areas but they will travel around the cows, just takes some time to find out where they move. If you have cows come through the are don't get discouraged and leave right away. Take your time and these areas can be productive.

Good hunting,
Mike.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
# of deer

Does it matter the number of cows?

This lot has at least 24-36 cows that will come in during the last hour of light, which makes for an interesting walk out to say the least since I have to walk thru the herd, about the same time the deer are coming out to feed.

I'm going to try the other side of the field next weekend, where it is cow-less.

·
Registered
14 Posts
# of Cows

Between these 2 farms I hunt there are about 75 cows. If cows use that area at night then try hunting that spot in the Morning and another area for the afternoon. That seems to be what I will be doing for my 2 main spots. I have one spot that I can hunt all day and not have a cow come through but the 2 other spots seem to generate many deer due to it is a travel area between the 2 farms, just have patience while figuring out where they are moving!!

Good Luck.
Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
and if all else fails... beef is good eatin' too!

in all seriousness, though, I have noticed from my pre-season spotting, I've seen deer and cattle in the same field grazing quite a bit, so it shouldnt bother the hunt TOO much...

*note* please note the sarcasm in my response. I in no way advocate the THEFT of the landowner's property (his livestock).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have never noticed cows bothering deer much. I have jumped bedded deer as close as 20yds from a herd of 20-30 cows. Cows bothering me is another story. I have been "stalked" by a curious young steer once. Took him an hour to cover 50yds. I still don't know how I let a cow sneak up on me, but when I felt that hot cow breath on the back of my neck, I bout jumped out of my boots. Then I was chased by a young bull, around my truck twice before I nailed him between the eyes with my bow. I bent the top wheel, but he left me alone. I only like cows rare, on a plate.;)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cows & walking to the car

Yes cows are curious but they sure are dumb. Both Sat & Sun nights I had cows follow me out but my two buddies well they got harassed and chased because they started to run. It was funny to hear them on the radio whining like little babies, I need your help DLE!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
I will be hunting on a farm thursday and one thing the farmer told me was. If the cows wander into fthe field that I am hunting I should switch fields because cows and deer won't feed in the same field.

·
Registered
602 Posts
cattle

If you can, follow the cattle while they go through your hunting area or just stay put, if there are deer in the area they will circle round and come back.
During the rut I love having cattle around, the bigger bucks it seems always hang about 10-15 min. behind them.
I have taken a lot of very big bucks this way. good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
mostly mulies here but we are getting more and more whitetails.
public land here can be "leased" to ranchers so we have cattle on the public land all of the time. I see deer right in the middle of the cows constantly. at least where i'm at the cows have little or no effect on the deer. elk are another story. i have never seen an elk anywhere near cattle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts