Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your experience? Is one more effective in your opinion than the other type? 3 dimensional decoys vs silhouette types like renzo, Montana, Mel dutton, etc.. I have a carry lite, but have a whitetail buck and doe Montana decoy on the way. I have used the montana antelope decoy, but never silhouette type deer decoys. Like the idea of portability in the Montana decoys.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
portability is great but I had more deer freak on them than my carry lite. I didn't have good luck with my 2d decoys.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I love decoys, I killed a little 6pt. that was going to kill my decoy. It was awesome, he came in seen the decoy, laid his ears back and bristled up and headed toward the decoys rear end. Shot him when he was perfectly broadside and he ran 70 yards and crashed. Body was big but the rack was small, still taste aweful good.:darkbeer: My decoy is a carry lite.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a Carry Lite doe / buck decoy on "the list" for next year as I have a couple sets that are begging for it.... single huge oak in clover field... etc

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I asked Santa for my first ever decoy for Christmas.....I sure hope they work :darkbeer:

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,215 Posts
I have a Carry Lite decoy and a Flambeau bedded doe. This year in Michigan I had some bucks come within 10 feet of my set-up. They were smaller bucks but I could have taken a shot. They didn't know what to think.

Using decoys is a fun experience especially when your calling and a deer sees your set-up and comes your way.

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My question is more directed at the silhouette decoys vs the 3d styles. I know decoys work I have had success with my carry lite decoy, and have hunted with this decoy for many years! I added some light (8" length by 1" thick width) white garbage bag strips to its ears and tail to add movement and realsim. Is one style more efffective than others thou? I have never used the silhouette types, but purchased a Montana whitetail buck and doe for next season. I know realism can be huge according to some guys. Will deer spook more often with a silhouette type.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use both and both have their days. 3D decoys can and will piss off the bigger does and with the silhouttes you can turn them so they dont see them as soon as they come in. I have had both push deer out of the area too. I have lot of video of both and deer have licked, kicked and mounted both or tried. I love it when a deer walks around the Montana and all of a sudden its 1" thick then its looking at it on the back side great video. I find the bigger issue for the day is buck or doe deer are very picky

·
Registered
18,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ttt

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,308 Posts
decoy

i purchased one late in october and only used it once prior to rifle season, doe came up to inspected it within 5 yards of the decoy and left. used it everyday in rifle in an open field about 80 yards out. worked wonderfully for bringing in deer from long distances but only two large ones came in and neither one came closer than twenty yards to the decoy, they came in on egg shells looking for a challenge. the nicest thing even though they were on edge was that they stood still for some time at various distances studying the decoy giving plenty of shot opprotunities, enabling my 10 yr old son to shoot a beautiful buck his first year, was a blast. i don't know if i would use it unless i had the ability to place it where it could be seen from some distances away.

·
Hunt Now-Not Later
3,308 Posts
i purchased one late in october and only used it once prior to rifle season, doe came up to inspected it within 5 yards of the decoy and left. used it everyday in rifle in an open field about 80 yards out. worked wonderfully for bringing in deer from long distances but only two large ones came in and neither one came closer than twenty yards to the decoy, they came in on egg shells looking for a challenge. the nicest thing even though they were on edge was that they stood still for some time at various distances studying the decoy giving plenty of shot opprotunities, enabling my 10 yr old son to shoot a beautiful buck his first year, was a blast. i don't know if i would use it unless i had the ability to place it where it could be seen from some distances away.
sorry, forgot to add this is a 3d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts